• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The 4.0 Tick...

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Vikz,

If I were in your situation, which I was when I learned that the 94 Ranger 4.0L OHV's valve train was not adjustable, I started looking for solutions.

My first thought was to use a set of 2.9L rockers but I couldn't figure out how to. Next I started asking everyone I knew for ideas. It wasn't long before it was suggested I call Smith Brother's and ask about a custom set of adjustable push rods. Upon learning how to measure them and the cost for the set I WAS SOLD, problem fixed.

The other end if this discussion is how to properly set hydraulic lifter preload; a good understanding of this will also help as it will be needed to take an accurate measurement ..)

The custom set from The Smith Brother's with shipping is $150, the tool to take the measurements is about $20. The value of a sweet singing valve train in optimum adjustment, priceless; the value of a properly adjusted valve train @ the fuel station, hard to beat!

Last edited:

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Vikz,

Having and adjustable valve train means that every so often I check and reset it; this will account for component wear and required tightness. I check mine every 25kmi-30kmi or as necessary

Without adjustability, if the the lifter preload were spot on, I'd expect 30kmi or so of optimized driving before needing and adjust, that I can not make. This set up seems the a manufacturer's guaruntee for maintenance needs and decreased performace.

I have never had a vehicle/engine that didn't have an adjustble valve train, in fact it is much more common that they are adjustable. Hydraulic lifter preload is tricky enough, to not be able to adjust it, to me is insanity, a guaranteed loss of efficiency and probably undesirable noise.
No doubt about that, I’ll look into it

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Vikz,

If I were in your situation, which I was when I learned that the 94 Ranger 4.0L OHV's valve train was not adjustable, I started looking for solutions.

My first thought was to use a set of 2.9L rockers but I couldn't figure out how to. Next I started asking everyone I knew for ideas. It wasn't long before it was suggested I call Smith Brother's and ask about a custom set of adjustable push rods. Upon learning how to measure them and the cost for the set I WAS SOLD, problem fixed.

The other end if this discussion is how to properly set hydraulic lifter preload; a good understanding of this will also help as it will be needed to take an accurate measurement ..)

The custom set from The Smith Brother's with shipping is $150, the tool to take the measurements is about $20. The value of a sweet singing valve train in optimum adjustment, priceless; the value of a properly adjusted valve train @ the fuel station, hard to beat!
Appreciate the info! are you currently still running the adjustable pushrods on your explorer now

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
Vikz,

The 94, 4.0l ohv is going into my 87 BII, the dash is still out and I'm still searching for both the engine bay + in cab wire harnesses.

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Vikz,

The 94, 4.0l ohv is going into my 87 BII, the dash is still out and I'm still searching for both the engine bay + in cab wire harnesses.
How the 4.0 running man? & Try eBay, seen a few on there🤙🏽

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
Like I said, the dash is out and still no harnesses.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals