• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI trouble

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey had this posted in the bronco corral but no answers and its more a 2.9 question, so here it is,my 86 Bii has been running rough for a while now, stumbles every now and then but just last month she started stalling when coming to a stop, unless foot on gas or in neutral before i start breaking. So I cheated and turned up my idle at the throttle body, its not stalling but still running rough of course and vacuuming the gas right out of the tank so I gotta get on with fixing it. I am thinking its the tfi. The truck has recently had its tank and sending unit replaced due to rust issues in the tank, fuel filter changed, new map sensor, msd street fire coil. The wires, rotor, cap, and plugs are a year and half old and will be changed soon, and pretty sure they're not the problem. High pressure pump is new and in tank was tested into a can of gas from the filter connection lol. Air filter is clean, vacuum lines all looked good, tranny was a little over filled? just a half quart to a quart drained it back to normal levels. I order a new ACCEL TFI from advance for $57 it'll be here in a few days. But looking at the truck the way the distributor is turned i can't get to one of the bolts on the tfi module, the lower back one is turned so the tip of a bolt stick up from the manifold or head(not sure which) is blocking the tool from getting to it! Horrible luck, but I need to get it out some how, my question is should i shave some of the bolts tip off with a file or dremmel, or turn the distributor? And how would I go about just turning the dist a little bit without messing up timing, I've never messed with or set timing, so I don't know to much about messing with the dist. Thanks for any help in advance

Oh, I do plan on doing the TFI relocation just not till the spring time when its getting warm outside. I couldn't find any aerostar's in the junkyard with the heat sinks.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
If your not so sure about how to time after you moved the dizzy and if you have a dremmel tool I say take a little off the bolt head, as long as you can still remove that bolt someday without breaking the head off. But If you have to move the dizzy make sure you first use a sharpy pen and draw a line from the base of the dizzy to the manifold, then you can move the dizzy and replace your T.F.I. then move the dizzy back to the same spot by reconnecting the line you drew. Your timing should be fine as long as the dizzy is in the same position as it was. good luck.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure on how the 2.9 dizzy works but I draw a line from the tip of the rotor down once your on top dead center.

Richard

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Have you messed with the IAC valve? (Idle Air Control) Since it doesnt die completely that's what it sounds like. You can try getting a new gasket and cleaning the valve and the ports. Did you unplug the valve while its running to see if it dies? I cleaned mine but it had problems with stalling that got worse until I changed the valve,if that is the problem get one from rockauto.com....it's much cheaper then the parts stores and only takes a couple days to get it. One thing I finally did was to have a friend put his diagnostic computer on mine (not a code reader) to see what was really wrong and what was ok so I didn't throw more money at it that I didn't have.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i could take the tip of the bolt off and it'll still have plenty thread, so i'll probably go that route, but in case that fails, i'll be sure to get one of those metalic sharpies, to turn the dizzy. Thanks for the tips on that guys.

And i did clean out the IAC valve with some MAF sensor cleaner but didn't get to much change. I do want to replace that. Man i need to get one of those code pullers but thats another thing i have never messed with but should have by now. And thanks RustedRanger, I'll have to hit up rockauto now.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Yeah I still pull codes the old fashioned way lol good luck.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
When I cleaned my IAC it fouled the plugs the ports was so dirty....then not long after I started getting problems with stalling at idle and having to give it gas to keep it from dying. It was the IAC then...I don't know why it got worse after cleaning it. Your welcome lost86, rockauto isnt cheaper on everything but some parts are much cheaper and if ya got the money they have better brands. Last part I got was an in tank fuel pump off ebay for $35...a new Carter pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals