• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

t-5 swap

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, i replaced the throwout bearing. i am getting better at this. it didn't take nearly as long this time and the only big hang-up i had is when i was trying to put in the x-member and had it flipped. i thought it was symmetrical, but apparently not.
on a side note, my o2 sensor has never quite worked right, and so today i ran a new wire from pin 49 to the turbo housing (i don't know where the old one was grounded) and the o2 sensor finally works right. i cant ever remember it working this well.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's great news! I hope it gives you many years of reliable service now.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it's amazing what a bit of new wiring can cure.

Gald it's running good.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well thanks robert and dave, but unfortunately, after about 50 miles of driving, that noise is back. sometimes things would work right the first time, and if not, at least the second time.:pissedoff:

WyoCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Here is two things that can make that noise. The metal rod that comes out of the slave cylinder will vibrate up against the fork and cause a squeaking noise and the other could be that your high performance clutch setup might need a heavy duty throwout bearing. I had issues with my bearing in my 95 4.0L ranger until i put a centerforce bearing in. But don't feel bad I put a new bearing in my T5 setup and it did the same thing. So I have to put a new on in it as well. Good luck.

pony-up

Reaction score
I'm not sure why they would use a smaller diameter clutch on a '97.
When I changed the clutch in my '97, I did some shopping around. I noticed that the 2.3 and the 3.0 had the same part # for the flywheel, as well as the pressure plate, but the discs were different part #'s. I bought the clutch kit for the 3.0 and used it in my 2.3. The only difference is that the 3.0 disc is about 3/8" wider in diameter.

Hey y'all. Been a little while.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I noticed that the 2.3 and the 3.0 had the same part # for the flywheel, as well as the pressure plate, but the discs were different part #'s.
That is a bit strange, for '97 they list the 2.3 as using either an 8-7/8" or 9" disc and the 3.0 as using either a 9" or 9-1/8" disc and the 4.0 as 10".

For '91 they list the 2.3 and 2.9 as using the 8-7/8" and the 4.0 the 10".

For '85 they list all engines (2.0, 2.3, 2.8) as using the 8-7/8". I know that the 2.0 in my old '84 came from the factory with a smaller disc than the 2.3 of the same year.

Even stranger for '97 there are several of the clutch kits listed as fitting both the 2.3 and 3.0, one kit even lists the disc as 8-7/8" in one listing but 9" in the other, for the same part number.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the LUK pro gold I bought for my 94 2.3 is a 9-1/8th disk instead of their standard LUK 8-7/8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals