• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Synthetic or conventional?

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 Ranger, 4.0L, auto, 4wd with 64,000 miles. I have heard that the 4.0 has problems with lubrication in the head and that valve guides go at 150,000 or so. Is this true and if it is my next question is if it would be smart to use a synthetic oil. I know you should use conventional oils on older engines so it doesn't "slip" past all the worn parts so is it too late on my engine? Any help is great

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With regular service intervals synthetic oil has no benefits over mineral oil.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Synthetic is "better" but it's a question of do you really need "better"? A more pressing concern is that new oil has much less zinc in it than it used to, which is an important anti-wear ingredient. Newer engines with roller lifters are okay with it, in older flat tappet engines you should run either a high-mileage oil or diesel-spec 10w-30 conventional or 5w-40 synthetic which has more zinc (aka ZDDP). Another option is to use STP Oil Stabilizer (this is NOT regular STP) which has a healthy dose of zinc in place of one quart of oil.
I see Wal-Mart is now carrying a fairly healthy supply of Rotella 10w-30. It is perfectly fine to run diesel oil in a gas engine as long as the weight is correct and it is rated for gas engines also, which Rotella is.
If it's me I just run Max Life, change it every 5000 miles, and not worry about it.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
don't bother. I went to synthetic in my 07 and my mileage dropped. It costs way more money too.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If your mileage dropped, it wasn't because of the synthetic.

Synthetic makes NO DIFFERENCE to mileage. It's not why you might consider it. It has greater temperature stability, a much lower pour point, and won't burn as easily (affects detonation). If you aren't having any of these problems, you don't need it. But it won't do any harm.

As for the expense, the usual reason for using synthetic is extended oil change intervals. And the cheap synthetics are adequate for that.

Racing oils are NOT appropriate for a highway vehicle, unless they are API rated (read the bottle -- do NOT trust overgeneralized myths). Even if they are API rated, they are a colossal waste of money.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, Wally World now has their own brand of full synthetic oil. It's in the blue 5qt container. It's called super tech or something. It's only $13 bucks!

Allen

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Synthetics are superior in every respect to conventional oil yet synthetics vary in quality depending on the brand, which base stock and the additives. Royal Purple is the brand I use and you can read up on the product info on their web site.
And yes at least in the case of RP you do get higher shear strength, less wear, higher oxidation resistance extended change intervals and better fuel economy etc.
Plus when you use superior filters such as high efficiency <3 micron bypass filters you have far superior oil system.

I can see the arguments already building concerning particle size before I finish typing this but that’s cool, bring them on.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is a saying in engineering:

"Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Yes, they are "superior" in several specific senses (not every sense), but it simply doesn't follow that you will see any benefit. Royal Purple would like you to think otherwise, but they sure have a vested interest in you being wrong....

There is a cost/benefit to every modification. In the case at hand, Royal Purple has a substantial cost, and the benefit is unclear and may be zero (or even negative -- additives CAN interfere with one another).

The "better fuel economy" claim is BS. No, you won't get any different fuel economy unless you were detonating continuously with conventional.

And especially, lose the fallacy that "better" is an absolute. Better than what? Muddy water? Same deal with "superior."

Last edited:

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why do you state that claims of better fuel economy are BS MAKG? Reduced friction, better ring sealing do they make zero difference? I fail to see how RP has a substantial cost as well, please explain!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're assuming there really is reduced friction AND that it is significant even if it does exist. Marketing. Question it. Synthetic oil is NOT more "slippery" than conventional oil of the same grade. The viscosity is THE SAME. That means it forms the same films and that it takes the same energy to push it around. So, where is this "benefit" coming from? Answer: the marketing department.

Royal Purple is quite a lot more expensive than conventional crankcase oil, as well as cheaper synthetic oils.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I am always wary of marketing however when other companies or individuals back up such claims through tests then one can believe such claims have merit dontyathink? Besides who would be foolish enough to make BS claims when your name is on the line?
While viscosity may be the same between oils, molecular structure is not and if you compare base and synthetic oils the reasons become clear.

Would operating temperature of oils be lower if friction remained the same? Does film strength have anything to do with ring sealing and reduced metal to metal contact?

As far as cost, RP may be double however so can be the change interval and more, add extra fuel economy, reduced engine wear and the cost factor turns into better value.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, Wally World now has their own brand of full synthetic oil. It's in the blue 5qt container. It's called super tech or something. It's only $13 bucks!

Allen
exactly what i use in my ranger and civic. great stuff. cheap too :D

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes I am always wary of marketing however when other companies or individuals back up such claims through tests then one can believe such claims have merit dontyathink? Besides who would be foolish enough to make BS claims when your name is on the line?
Maybe, or maybe not.

Do these "companies" (whoever they might be) have a financial interest in you buying stuff they mark up?

I simply will not believe "facts" just because a lot of people read the same incorrect information and repeat it back to you. Reality is not a democracy.

Motivation matters. A lot. And many people -- like you -- believe the BS and buy stuff because of it. THIS is why the cheap automotive performance market is so completely full of bull****.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Allen
I was told that oil is made by Mobil and thats what i use.

rangerbert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I happen to agree with MAKG I'm using Mobil1 synthetic and the claims of better gas mileage is b.s. I've been using synthetic oils for almost 2 years now and I haven't seen any impovement in gas mileage. I honestly think its all a marketing thing. I want to know is if you use synthetic oil and switch bak to conventional will that cause you to throw a bearing or blow up your motor. I have heard this thats why I'm asking I think it's b.s. too anybody got ant info to share on this subject.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals