• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Switching Cabs. Help!

23pennkr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I recently destroyed my cab in a rollover accident. I have a 2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 V6. Does anyone know what other Ranger years I can use for a new cab? I'm worried about computer shit and compatibility. Anyone have any advice, suggestions, instructions from experience? I've never done anything like this before and barely know where to start. I've been looking at Salvage yards, FB marketplace, and offer up for cabs or cheap salvage Rangers with cabs in decent shape that I can buy and then part out after. I added pictures of what it looks like now. Also I cut the top off because I was thinking of just adding a roll cage instead of a cab as well. But that's a whole other issue in itself so I'm starting to lean towards the idea of a new cab instead.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you get one with a good title. As clost your your truck as possible would be ideal.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Hmm...

If it were me.. id be considering getting a cab off a truck thats old enough to register as an antique. Best of both worlds.. newer truck.. and no need for stickers/smog/whatever else.

Might not be viable wherever you live. We don't have much in the way of stipulations on antique plates up here.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm...

If it were me.. id be considering getting a cab off a truck thats old enough to register as an antique. Best of both worlds.. newer truck.. and no need for stickers/smog/whatever else.

Might not be viable wherever you live. We don't have much in the way of stipulations on antique plates up here.
Old enough for antique plates won't line up well with an '08 for a couple years yet.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Old enough for antique plates won't line up well with an '08 for a couple years yet.
A 98 would qualify for that, and in a couple weeks, so will a 99, at least in NY.

That being said, there are some minor firewall differences between an 08 and a 98. In the early aughts, ford switched how the trucks are wired and there will be a large hole on the driver side for the 3 main plugs into the cab which simply don't exist on an 08. The dashes are identical except for the wiring and with the dash removed its a piece of cake to swap the entire wiring harness as an assembly.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the official VIN is affixed to the cowl, if you swap cabs you also swap VINs so legally it's a totally different truck.
as stated, a good title will be needed.

or, call the DMV and see if there is a procedure to re-mount the VIN plate while legally repairing a vehicle.
one of the car restoration shows was able to do that in Virginia, he had to get special rivets from the state.
being in California, you're probably screwed.

if you're ever stopped and the officer sees even a scratch on those special rivets he assumes you have a stolen vehicle.

ya, I'm a party pooper

EDIT:

what about inspections???? will the computers VIN need match the "new" vehicles VIN?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
EDIT:
what about inspections???? will the computers VIN need match the "new" vehicles VIN?
In some states.

Not sure how it works, we have gotten a couple used PCM's from JY's at work, not sure what poor folks do in areas where they care about such trivial things when their obsolete PCM lets the magic smoke out.

23pennkr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
So far this has been very helpful thanks! I was told on another forum about 0'6 and up would be my best bet but 2000's and up on another. Can anyone help me figure out which years would actually be better for a new cab?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
In some states.

Not sure how it works, we have gotten a couple used PCM's from JY's at work, not sure what poor folks do in areas where they care about such trivial things when their obsolete PCM lets the magic smoke out.
in my corner of Ohio there are absolutely no inspections, we get away with a lot.
when a used car comes in from out of state they look at the vin, that's all.

what was it that Mt T used to say?? :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
go by the PCM connectors, post a pic.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So far this has been very helpful thanks! I was told on another forum about 0'6 and up would be my best bet but 2000's and up on another. Can anyone help me figure out which years would actually be better for a new cab?
What you want to find is a truck with a blown engine e.g. 4.0 SOHC which ate the timing chain. Then take your good motor/transmission, etc. and put them in the dead truck. That avoids most of the issues with the establishment.

23pennkr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
What you want to find is a truck with a blown engine e.g. 4.0 SOHC which ate the timing chain. Then take your good motor/transmission, etc. and put them in the dead truck. That avoids most of the issues with the establishment.
Oh shit that's good. I'll definitely look into that thank you!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you decide to swap cabs please check your state laws first. As mentioned, the VIN tag on the dash won't match your title or registration and it's near impossible to switch the tags. If you use the cab's VIN, the VIN in your PCM won't match it and the Gordon Darby system NH uses would catch that- I'd bet California's rules are tighter than ours. Common sense would tell you that cabs get swapped to repair wreck damage or rust, unfortunately, common sense doesn't apply to state laws. A little research could save you from spending money on a truck you wouldn't be able to drive.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
What don4331 said - buy a decent Ranger near your year with drivetrain failure, use yours for parts. You'll be waaay ahead,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals