• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

suspension refresh without going much taller

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Hi folks,

my '90 single cab 4x4 is about 2"+ taller on the right than it is on the left. I understand this is fairly typical for them to "lean", but it looks real bad from the back.
perhaps unrelated, but my steering wheel is also about 30 degrees counter-clockwise when going straight, and the truck pulls slightly right, so a significant alignment job is in order.

I don't plan to have this be a serious off-roading rig, but I live in Montana and sometimes it just happens.
I'm honestly fine with the "stock 4x4 height", and the biggest tires I plan to install would be about 31", 265/70 or 75.

I've been reading up on the lift options, and skyjacker seems like a decent way to go, but if I get their 1.5-2" kit (basically just springs and shocks) will that align decently, or am I actually better off with the 4" system which includes brackets and such?
Also I can't find much info comparing the m8000 nitro to the m8500 black max, any thoughts on this application?

In summary, I don't care to go much taller, I mostly want off-road capable with a decent ride/steering, but I'll go taller if that's just how the geometry works out.

Aside, it seems like there are some "gaps" in the build guide for the particular combination of '90 2.9l 4x4. I'm pretty sure I've got a dana 35 ttb up front, and the rear is an 86(7.5", open 3.73)

Thanks much
Martin

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Martin,

I would consider new body bushings and springs.

If I were considering a cheap qulity lift, I would look for a Ranger with the Hi rider 2" factory lift in the yard but get the WHOLE thing (sway bars, drop brackets, radius arm, springs...everything). You can save some money in the rear since it's only 2" by adding leaf springs to your existing pack until you get the height tgat you want; for the extra springs I would use 90-94 Explorer leaf springs.

If you want new parts a 4" suspension lift is awesome for a better than stock ride I recommend Skyjacker SoftRide springs, dual James Duff LLC shocks all around with anyone's drop brackets and Explorer leaf pac in the rear.

Nothing wrong with a D35/7.5 combo ..)

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Martin,

I would consider new body bushings and springs.

If I were considering a cheap qulity lift, I would look for a Ranger with the Hi rider 2" factory lift in the yard but get the WHOLE thing (sway bars, drop brackets, radius arm, springs...everything). You can save some money in the rear since it's only 2" by adding leaf springs to your existing pack until you get the height tgat you want; for the extra springs I would use 90-94 Explorer leaf springs.

If you want new parts a 4" suspension lift is awesome for a better than stock ride I recommend Skyjacker SoftRide springs, dual James Duff LLC shocks all around with anyone's drop brackets and Explorer leaf pac in the rear.

Nothing wrong with a D35/7.5 combo ..)
Thanks gaz,

So you'd actually recommend the james duff shocks over the skyjacker?

With the explorer springs, is any pack from 90-94 ok? Would a "new" set like this https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1503 be reasonable, or are they strong enough to be just as good off a now 30yr old vehicle? With time, distance, and weather, again junk yards aren't typically a great solution up here.

Call me crazy but I already enjoy driving this more than the '17 trd OR tacoma I just sold.
However my roommate did just notice the rear tracks offset from the front... Much to do

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
That price looks pretty attractive compared to crawling around in the snow/mud of a junkyard, in the winter ;)

The spring rate on a set of Exploder rear springs is gonna be close to double that of your existing springs. Dunno about the single-leaf springs that are sometimes found under 2-doors, that one looks like a typical 4-door pack. If your existing ones are worn out, maybe more than double. Semi-tolerable on my extended cab truck that I leave a lot of crap in. Empty single-cab, eh, might be a tad harsh.

You won't be able to bottom out the springs with an sort of sane load in the back.

You'd have to flip the center bolt, not a big deal, but get two big c-clamps and hold the pack together while doing so. Otherwise it's a PITA to put back together.

Hope that helps.

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
That price looks pretty attractive compared to crawling around in the snow/mud of a junkyard, in the winter ;)

The spring rate on a set of Exploder rear springs is gonna be close to double that of your existing springs. Dunno about the single-leaf springs that are sometimes found under 2-doors, that one looks like a typical 4-door pack. If your existing ones are worn out, maybe more than double. Semi-tolerable on my extended cab truck that I leave a lot of crap in. Empty single-cab, eh, might be a tad harsh.

You won't be able to bottom out the springs with an sort of sane load in the back.

You'd have to flip the center bolt, not a big deal, but get two big c-clamps and hold the pack together while doing so. Otherwise it's a PITA to put back together.

Hope that helps.
So I "want" the ones from the 2dr/sport?
Hm. They're more than double the price, I think skyjacker is actually cheaper new after shipping...

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Dunno, depends on what you are doing with the truck. I was satisfied with what I ended up with, due to how I use the truck. Rides pretty well with 8 or 9 hundred pounds in the back ;) I would expect the 2dr springs to be lighter, but how much, no idea. 2dr Exploders have both a multi-leaf pack, and a single leaf. I've seen both just in my neighborhood, but as far as the ratings or what years they are.... no clue.

If you want it to ride close to factory, and you run around with it empty, then maybe aftermarket is the way to go. Pulling springs out is a chore, so I wouldn't want to do it any more than I had to.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
vega,

James Duff over any other shock system. I WAS SHOCKED at how much better my vehicles handled with doubles all around the BII but on the Ranger double up front was enough.

I used 4 door, 4x4 Explorers as only candidates. It's eye 2 bolts, the the 4 U bolts and the pack is off. You can build a custom set using them, even combined with components from you original packs; the most valuable component in the Explorer pack is the overload spring. The BEAUTY of it, is that you posses enough components to build a custom pack that suits your desired ride/needs, whether that be height, payload of comfort.

I'm not parading against new and improved components, I'm just saying these are solutions, often VERY inexpensive.

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
I WAS SHOCKED
SHOCKED
:icon_rofl:

i'll have to circle back to duff then, not sure what initially prompted me to dismiss their shocks...
I'm certainly about budget, so i appreciate that. i do have to be careful, however, not to undervalue my time and effort trying to save a few bucks on parts. like burning a gallon of $3 gas to save 7c/gallon on a 16 gallon tank

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
vega,

It was funni in my head, every once in a while it's funni to someone else ..)

☕☕☕ Check out their older dual front shock hoops vs the new "Long Travel" set up. 🚬🚬🚬. They may still have some in inventory or you could source them used.

If you think that you may become a SERIOUS wheeler, then the long travel setup may be more practical in the long run; I have the original dual shock hoops on both rigs and have never been happier. Also, even though their site only shows the new dual mounts with their extended radius arms, the original hoops work great with their's or any other companies extended radius arms (for future thinking).

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
I explained my situation in a message to duff with the advice yall had provided. here was the response:
Thank you for reaching out to us!

I would recommend getting our complete kit before piecing together a mix of kits. Reason being for starters, I can not sell the parts outside of my kits that you are going to need to correct the steering geometry and alignment. Second reason is it will end up costing you more to piece the parts together than purchasing it as complete kit.

Take a look at our Stage 2 kit!
https://dufftuff.com/product/ranger-ii-3-stage-2-suspension-lift/

Thank you,
Sales

Not quite the response I was hoping for.
I'm not eager to drop $1700+ into the suspension of this truck, plus I'm assuming I'll still need to replace the rear leaves and not just 'add-a-leaf'.

I might just buy the explorer rears, the new dual shock mounts, skyjacker 2" springs, and 70/30 shocks all around, then get new bushings and cross my fingers all the way to the alignment shop
on that note, I've found a set of "code V 3-leaf" off a 94 explorer. run with it?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
It'll be bouncy, but will match well with a 2" lift up front. Up to you.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
vega,

It was years ago but they gave me the same advice 😊, they WANT to sell the big ticket, CAN'T blame them and it does work GREAT. but

HERE IS WHAT I DID. Perform all changes then call and ask what size of their shocks to buy. I privided the measurement between the shock mounts:

-all new hardware/bushings
-new springs installed
-hoops or new dual system installed
-call them tell them what you have, they go by amount if lift and shock mount location

They told me which size shock to use, shipped them to me and I was off to the alignment shop. 😊

I did this once with a complete Ford Hi Rider 2" lift and with 4" Pro-comp drop brackets/SkyJacker coils/Explorer packs. Each time I had the specail camber kit in hand, didn't need it; when I did the 4", I bought extended brake hoses, didn't actually need them to install the lift however, they are needed if going off road even moderate.

In the end, I bought no warranty and my parts were not garunteed to be safe or work...29 years later they are still bangin N hangin!!!

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
So it finally warmed up into the low 30s and with a quick look under the bed, I found out what accounts for at least some of my suspension issue. See attached images.

I've found the skyjacker rear springs(fr34s) can be had for only 214/each from 3rd parties. I'm leaning more towards that now for the fresh bushings, "new parts", and some semblance of measurement standard vs the explorer setup for the money.
My stupid question for the day, and what I've been running into a lot when comparing different brands, this FR34S is advertised as a 4" lift spring. However, it is included in skyjacker's 1.5-2" lift kit. Does this assume for the "kit" the stock 2" block is removed, and for the full 4" the block is included? It would make sense to me, but I'd like to confirm if anyone knows. Thanks for all the help folks.

It looks like I'll be able to buy the springs individually from skyjacker this way, then get shocks and perhaps that dual mount(duff says the old hoops dont work with the new radius arms) from duff, and drop brackets if I want to go higher later, all piecemeal without much $ redundancy.

Attachments

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The Skyjacker FR34S springs give 2" of lift without the block. I have them on my truck and with extended shackles and no blocks, and have about 4" of lift

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
The Skyjacker FR34S springs give 2" of lift without the block. I have them on my truck and with extended shackles and no blocks, and have about 4" of lift
Just the info I was looking for, thanks BlackBII

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals