• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stutters badly over 3,000 rpm

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Sounds as if the PCM doesn't know it's in Drive.

Transmission Range Sensor?

the pcm doesnt do much with the trans except to tell it when to upshift based on speed and rpm inputs , so the range sensor would have nothing to do with it , all the range sensor really does it tell the pcm when the trans is in park or neutral for starting , other than that , if the trans is in drive and the pcm sees a change in vehicle speed and rpm's , that pcm is perfectly content , plus if the pcm didnt know it was in drive the truck would not move at all and obviously he is driving it

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the Trans Range Sensor sends a neutral or Park signal to the PCM, the PCM limits the engine rpm to 3000, which is what he describes.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it was deffinently not the maf since a bad maf would cause it not to run at all
A lot of people have pinging issues caused by a dirty MAS, but engine still runs.

i hate to undermine anyone on this site, especially hahns, since i was a boces student for auto tech, and i worked at a parts store
When I was in college, I worked for a John Deere dealership as a service "manager". Frequently, I would work the parts counter. I will also readily tell you that I don't know a damn thing about working on a John Deere. FWIW, I did change a deck belt for an elderly customer once for free :).

Pete

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
If the Trans Range Sensor sends a neutral or Park signal to the PCM, the PCM limits the engine rpm to 3000, which is what he describes.
yes but if the trans range sensor sensed that it was only in park or neutral the truck would not drive , it would only sit there and rev , he stated that under accleration he had the problem , which means he was driving down the road

A lot of people have pinging issues caused by a dirty MAS, but engine still runs.

When I was in college, I worked for a John Deere dealership as a service "manager". Frequently, I would work the parts counter. I will also readily tell you that I don't know a damn thing about working on a John Deere. FWIW, I did change a deck belt for an elderly customer once for free :).

Pete

well i am in college now and have basically quit my job at the parts store , i hated working there , i mean i liked my coworkers but i am not a people person , i am in college for auto tech , i attended boces for auto tech , i was in the natef and ayes programs , and i passed all 4 end of year exams my first year when we had only covered 2 of them , i spent 10 weeks during the summer of 07 working in a repair shop , i am more of a mechanic than i am a parts guy , i am not saying i am infallible , but i have been working on cars since i was 9 , i got my first when i was 12 , and i got my first ranger when i was 15 , i was just stating that most of the maf problems i have ever run into was when the car would not run for more than 5 to 10 seconds before stalling out

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
cat-back straight pipe(no muffler)
THERE'S your problem!!
Ive got an '02 that does the same damn thing, only intermittently. Occasionally while on the road (read: with load on the engine) if I stomp the gas and the Trans kicks down, the motor will rev up to almost exactly 3k and stutter away. It's scary when that happens at 40+ mph.
The only similarity between our setups are that we've got modified intake and exhaust systems.
The stock intake system upstream of your TB already flows WAY more than the motor could ever handle stock, so that's irrelevant.
The stock exhaust, however, is designed to provide the engine with a certain amount of backpressure.
I'm not Wicked Sludge, so I can't explain in the same words he would use, but I can tell you that (from my limited understanding of the principle) backpressure has a hand in determining the fuel/air ratio present in the combustion chamber, which if it is wrong will lead to all kinds of nasty things, knock, ping, detonation...
Your truck has sensors that will sense these nasty conditions and reset spark timing so that the engine doesn't try to blow it's self to hell.

Try idling in a driveway in park (or neutral). Run your revs up to 3k and see what you get. I'll bet you dollars to donuts it revs smoothly to that mark and then stutters and acts like crap.

Tl;Dr
you need a good muffler to provide back pressure.

DaBen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Old thread I know, But I gots this problem too

My truck 02 Ranger Edge 2wd 3.0l auto 120k. Stock intake with a 2.5" glass pack to a 45* turn exiting in front of rear tire.
The exhaust has been on for over a year. 3 months ago while getting on the highway I kicked it down to get moving and at about 3k rpm it started sputtering. Not a miss but almost like the truck is going to shut off. It does this in rapid succession. No black smoke from the exhaust, no back fire, and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

What I've done: Brand new(from ford) PCV valve assy with the heater tube and the long tube that goes into intake. New hose from intake tube(short approx. 2-3in.) to intake mani. and today I did a new fuel filter. I think tomorrow I will do a youtube video to show you. But until then has anybody had this issue and been able to resolve it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals