• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stumped on Leaf spring bushings

KorbinRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi, made an account just to ask about this issue, love this forum and reading all of the helpful stuff on here and hope I can figure out the issue here.
I've been trying to replace my front leafspring mounts on my 1993 2wd ford ranger, got the drivers side one off after a lot of hassle and work, and pushed out the front bushing with a lot of hammering and drilling at the rubber. Also bought new bushings to replace them, however there's no way it seems they could fit. The front leafspring eye on a caliper (the most accurate one I've ever held despite the grime on the dial, and I've held a fair amount of calipers) reads ~1.550 to ~1.590, but the bushings outer diameter is listed as 1 and 11/16 online, and I could not find a smaller size for forward leafspring bushings anywhere. Weirder yet, the actual bushing reads like ~1.645 but I'm pretty sure 1 and 11/16 should be something like 1.685. The old leafspring bushing didn't seem to have any kind of metal bushing that needed pushed out, but the inside of the eye looks pretty messy. Tried cleaning it up with a wire brush and some other things but the results were limited and I'm unsure if it should look so messy on the inside or not (pictures will be attached.)
Tomorrow when I have time I'm gonna try and get the rear leafspring bushing out and see if the rear ones I also bought fit, and that maybe it's only the front that's having an issue.

Anywhere I look online at leafspring eye diameters doesn't seem to yield a match to anything I have, but maybe I also just don't know where to look, and maybe I'm also just making serious rookie mistakes.
I've attached pictures of the old punched out bolt and metal sleeve, the leafspring eyes, and the measurements I got of both the bushing and the inner leafspring eye. Thank you for any help in advance and apologies if this is somehow a really silly issue with a really easy answer haha, I'm a fan of this forum so admittedly I'm a bit nervous about looking silly or doing something wrong for my first post.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pics 3 and 4;
It looks to me as there is still scale that needs cleaning out. Take a hammer and punch to it and see if it flakes off.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's been some time(15years) but last time I did bushings there wasn't a steel case?:unsure: then again I did get poly ones...

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also half round file will help get the scale out of the eyelet just have a little grace with it

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a similar issue when I tried replacing the bushings on a 92 F150, tried pressing the bushings in, but they did not want to go. I ended up buying new springs and a second set of bushings, they popped right in.

Could try a press, and some lube.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Have you seen this article? There's some good pics and all the measurements are at the bottom.

There's a thread somewhere where we were talking about the eye sizes, but I can't find it

KorbinRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have you seen this article? There's some good pics and all the measurements are at the bottom.

There's a thread somewhere where we were talking about the eye sizes, but I can't find it

I did actually see this article and it concerned me that the diameter of bushing I needed was listed as 1 5/8 - OD when the only ones I've found are 1 11/16 (even though the actual measurement I've pulled from the bushing ranges around 1.645, and my spring eye reads so far under in comparison to those. But maybe I'm looking into too much

Either way I'll try the filing and stuff suggestion when I get home, hoping I won't need new springs. Worse comes to worse I'll bring my springs into my machining class tomorrow, lots of people there that could help. All else fails there's a local leafspring shop, hope it doesn't come to that though.

KorbinRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got to this pretty late but quick note, I'm silly. You just have to keep hammering them in and the leafspring eye will expand wide enough to accept the bushing in, that's what I get for over analyzing. I just put a scrap 9/16 bolt in to not mushroom the bushing sleeve and hammered the bushing in all the way. Seems just fine

But I took my other Leafspring off and am about to replace the bushings in it, but saw that one of the leafs seem to separate at the end, but the other Leafs don't. I have no idea what this means or if it is an issue.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Airhammer is a godsend.

I did one set and for the price of new springs after the experiance it isn't worth the drama to do it another set.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It means they're pretty worn out.

KorbinRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It means they're pretty worn out.
Would you say a replacement is necessary? And would I have to replace both, or can I get away with just the one

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I need to replace one I would replace both for sure.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Springs are typically replaced in pairs... if you didn't it would probably lean pretty good.

I mean you can re-bush the spring and put it back in. It is certainly compromised though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It could ride weird basically having two different springs in the back too, I just wouldn't do it.

KorbinRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Alright, thanks guys. I'll have to get some from a local parts store and get price gouged because I don't have the time to wait.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals