• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Stumble at Idle

JW20

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My 97 2.3 5-spd with ~190K miles has developed a strange issue that just appeared suddenly with no other symptoms. When coming to a stop, the RPM will drop for 3-5 seconds and the engine will idle very rough and almost stall. Then it just goes away and idles fine until I take off and come to a stop again. It's enough to where the voltmeter dips down and the headlights will dim. The alternator was replaced earlier this year, as was the battery. AC is not even connected anymore (used a shorter belt to bypass it), and nothing else is running; not even the fan. I pulled the intake boot to look at the throttle body, it looks spotless as does the MAF sensor. I'm not really sure where to start looking. Any ideas?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IAC valve. (Idle Air Control) Not sure where it is on the 2.3. When you find it pull the wire connector off and idle should slow or stall out. This is good. If needs replacing use ford oem.

JW20

Reaction score
IAC valve. (Idle Air Control) Not sure where it is on the 2.3. When you find it pull the wire connector off and idle should slow or stall out. This is good. If needs replacing use ford oem.
Awesome, thank you. I was able to easily find it once I knew what it looked like. For anyone wondering, on this generation of 2.3, it's near the throttle body almost touching the firewall.

I unplugged it while the truck was running and it immediately stalled, like I'd turned the key off. What does that mean? Any other way to diagnose before I spend the money on the part?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Immediate stall means it's working as it should. I'm not sure where to go from here.
Edit. It could possibly be sticking which could cause the problem you describe. Remove and clean with carb cleaner or brakleen and reinstall, see if situation improves...

JW20

Reaction score
Immediate stall means it's working as it should. I'm not sure where to go from here.
Edit. It could possibly be sticking which could cause the problem you describe. Remove and clean with carb cleaner or brakleen and reinstall, see if situation improves...
The IAC valve gave me something to go on. I looked up other symptoms and someone described another issue I didn't know was related. If I switch on the AC, even though it's not physically connected anymore, the idle will hang. In a manual it was almost like cruise control. You could turn the AC on and take your foot off the pedal and it would keep accelerating. I just figured it was the computer compensating for the added load of the AC compressor.

As it turns out, one of the symptoms of a failed IAC is high idle when the AC is switched on. I went ahead and ordered a new IAC valve. Hopefully this does the trick. Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals