• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock Trailer Wiring

jpellish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 XLT 4.0 Ranger with the towing package. Ive concluded that my stock trailer wiring harness ground is bad. Does anyone know where the stock ground is connected to the frame/body? I wound rather just clean up the stock one if its bad. I dont want to be bothered running another wire anywhere because i hate wiring stuff up. Any help is appreciated thanks, Joe

jpellish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
grounds

ok so after hours of searching the net. i guess the trailer harness ground is grounded with the tail lights. Which those from what i see could be in three different locations. 1. Under the drivers seat 2. Behind the drivers kick panel 3. Right next to the fuel inertia switch behind the passengers kick panel. Anyone want to chime in and tell me if im right or wrong? I really dont want to rip apart the whole interior to find this damn ground. The only thing i cant figure out is why in the world would ford ground the tail lights way up in the cab whenever any metal part on the back of the truck works fine. For the love of god chime in. Thanks Joe

Ronv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers S
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Have you lost your tail lights as well? if not it might just be the wire from your trailer socket to the ground wire for the tail lights. Personally I would just create a new grounding point. :)

RonV :) :) :)

jpellish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
re

ya you got it. my tail lights quit working as well. im headed out to the garage to look for that ground. i will let you know what i find. -Joe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals