• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock player replaced with newer, would it work?

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys just curious the dash in the 01+ Rangers didn't really change and then they started coming with the MP3 coder cd players would one of them connect to a 95 that currenty has the tape player 5disc cd changer? Thinking of interchanging if its worth it If so is it worth it how do they sound with'em being a OEM cd player? I didn't know if they changed the connectors through out the years or if they left them the same too. Thanks!

redranger02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
what is going in to? a 95 ranger or 95 explorer

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
itll fit in the stock location, but the wiring harness changed in 98? i believe.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yea a 95 explorer but the harnesses were the same i believe. Thats what I wanted to know if any of the years if the stock radio harness had changed.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You really need to ask an installer that question.

So you wanna put an 01 radio in a 95 Explorer. Should not be a problem if the radios mount the same way. The 95 will need a Metra Plug #70-5600. Now for the 01 Radio you will need a Metra Plug #71-1771. Simply wire the two plugs together color to color. Your done. Plug everything in and it will work, unless your Explorer has a factory amp with sub. The radio from the donor (01 Radio) will need to have a remote turn on. NOT ALL Ford radios (even though they look alike) have this feature.

Need more info on your Explorer, does it have a factory amp?

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah the explorer has a factory amp but no factory Sub.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Because there is no sub, you shouldn't run into any problems. If you don't have any audio (Its rare, only happened to me a couple of times) after hooking everything up, you can bypass the amp using a metra plug 70-5513.

You should have no problems.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thank you, I was thinking of doing this but wasn't sure if it'd work

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The wiring harness changed in Explorer AND Rangers in '98 to the "world plug". It is VERY possible to convert your harness without cutting it at all.

I currently have a '07 Ranger CD6/mp3 player in my '97. You will need to get a "reverse" wiring harness for a '01 Ranger from a car audio shop (I got mine from Best Buy for $20). Then get an aftermarket radio wiring harness for your truck (again, I got mine at Best Buy for $15); the one that plugs into your trucks harness that will allow you to install an aftermarket radio. Then splice the 2 new wiring harness' together to make 1 harness. You will have to put the amp power wire (since most '95-'97 trucks have factory amps) together with the switched power wire. Then plug the end that fits your trucks stock harness into the stock harness and the new "reverse" harness into the new radio. Mine works like a champ.

here is what a reverse harness looks like: (picture really sucks but you get the idea)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-wiring-Harness-OEM-Ford-Ranger-Mini-95-96-97_W0QQitemZ150134069960QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150134069960&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
With all that I might just be better off installing my MP3 Sony headunit, I was kind of wanting to keep the stock player look in it and use the 6disc cd changed but that isn't equipped to play MP3 cd's neither so the only difference a stock MP3 player would make is having the stock look and playing my MP3's.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you can find the stock CD6/mp3 players all over the vast Ranger based forums where people took theirs out for an aftermarket unit.

I personally like the looks and effects of my CD6/mp3 unit.

If yours is a CD6 unit that doesn't play mp3's, post up some pictures of it (front, back, and sides) and I might consider trading you even. I am looking for something that has the extra plug in the back so I can plug my iPod into it and control it that way (if my iPod is plugged into the radio, i don't need the radio to play mp3's.). If your radio has that extra plug, i will probably trade you.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i'll take some pics here in a min.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Here they are clickable thumbnails. Don't think this is what you ment though by 6disk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals