• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter won't turn....

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
Ok., So Saturday morning, I start my truck and it starts just fine. Then, I drive to the car wash and as I'm waiting for the next avalible bay to open, I shut it down. When I went to start it up again, No Dice.... So I drive it home (After A Push start) and bring the truck into the garage, Test the Connections, and tested the voltages, and found the solenoid was dead. So I bought, Just the Solenoid. Put that in and still. Just a loud click with no rotation of the starter. I'm not to happy cause now I have to take the bus, which is always late. No earlier busses......... I don't believe it is the starter because it has always worked so well. What should I test next.

Mar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I drive a 09 and my starter went just this past weekend, apparently it doesn't happen all that often they said. Truck is under warranty so really not a big deal for me except I didn't have a truck for two days, they had to order a starter in.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you buy the solenoid attached to the starter, or the one located up by the battery?

The new solenoid could be faulty. It wouldn't hurt to take the starter out and get it tested.

You probably tested this but, when you tested the connections did you test ground too?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
like mentioned earlier . what solenoid/relay did you replace. I think on the 94's you have a fender relay. try and jump the relay. if you jump it and the starter works it is something in your "starter control circuit" ie, fuses, ignition switch, fender relay, theft device, clutch positioning switch, .. if it does not start when jumping. check/clean connections at starter> replace starter/solenoid

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the whole starter, now it starts!!!! WOO-HOO

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Mine wouldn't start all last week due to the cold.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like to douche the bendix shaft with a solvent, then lube the shaft with some lubriplate or spray lithium grease.

I also tell people to let the fuel system prime before ever cranking the starter, twice if you have a long cranker. Good advice for any FI vehicle. Less wear and tear on the starter to begin with, makes them last longer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals