• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squealing from engine bay

howdisrespectful

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone!

this morning my ‘91 4.0 XLT began squealing from the engine bay. This is completely new.
it was a constant squeal coming from what sounded like the steering pump, but I’m not sure what it could be.
After driving for a few miles the squeak died down some and only made noise once I hit ~1,200 RPM.

I could upload a video if that's allowed.

Has anyone else experienced this? The belt was replaced about 1.5 years ago.

are there any tips on diagnosing where the squeal is coming from/what could be causing it?
Thanks!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I know you said the belt is fairly new, butI'd still check it for tiny cracks. A dry rotted belt will let you know it needs to be replaced. IF that checks out, your Idler pulley could be going bad? Remove the belt and give the idler a spin, if it spins smoothly with no wobble, move on to another pulley. So on and So forth until you find the bad pulley/bearing.

howdisrespectful

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the response! I will check each pulley tonight.

Also thought I should add:
The squeal doesn’t change when driving or turning the car. It’s directly related to RPMs, increased at speed and decreasing at braking. Pitch and frequency are unaffected by any other movement.

I found a small amount of power steering fluid on the PS pump cap so I checked fluid levels but it’s all good.
I’ll update once I get the belt off tonight.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@howdisrespectful ,
Could have hit a deep puddle getting water to the belt, making it slip. They sell this belt No-Squeek at the auto parts joints; it can help sometimes. Also Belt Dressing can quiet a noisy belt.

Check your power steering fluid level.

howdisrespectful

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Ok small update:
Removed and inspected my belt and it looks fine. No rot, no cracks or tears.

I inspected all pulleys and the only one that was stiff and squeaked a bit was my power steering. It had a lot of resistance and the pulley itself had “in and out” play. (Best way I can describe is z-axis play. I could push the whole pulley in and out of the power steering pump a bit)

I’m gonna assume that’s my problem. Is it worth it to replace the pulley only? Or should I go ahead and replace the whole power steering pump while I’m at it. The truck is in great shape.

thanks for the tip @Ranger850 !!!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
IDK if a bad PS pulley would indicate a bad PS pump or Not. Hopefully somebody else will chime in on this matter. Check to see if a new pump comes with a pulley. IMO, that would mean that both are to be replaced at the same time, IF they sell just the pulley, that COULD mean that the pulley doesn't last as long as the pump, OR vise versa

IF that makes sence . . .

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That steering pump pulley is pressed on the pump shaft. If the pulley moves in and out I would say the pump is shot.

Is the fluid cooked?
Did you start the engine with the belt off to ensure the noise went away? Don't run the engine more then necessary... water pump won't be turning.

With fluid in the pump and reservoir... the pulley will have some resistance. But it shouldn't be "hard" to turn... but it won't free wheel like the other pulleys.

howdisrespectful

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Update!

parts came in and I got to work. Replaced steering pump as well as return and pressure lines. Decided to keep the current pulley as it looked fine.

job was easy enough took me about 2 hrs with a “pulley puller” rented from auto parts store and a quart of some type F ATF.

got everything installed and bled the system. Everything seems good!! I’m surprised at how quiet this new pump is. I didn’t realize quite how loud the old one was. I did use a new edelmann pump and hoses though..

Thank an everyone for all the tips!
Oh one more thing I noticed the new pump has a similar amount of in and out play as my previous one. It must be a feature…

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals