• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Something wrong with heater?

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I have heat, but if I turn the fan up to higher speeds it gets cooler. If I'm driving around town and stopping frequently, it gets cooler. If I leave the fan on the lowest setting, and drive at a decent speed or rpm it is fairly warm, but it is not as hot as it should be.

It seems the blend door is working, because when it is blowing warm, I can back the temp control back little by little and feel a difference. The coolant level is where it should be (no leaks), and the temp gauge reads as it should. Both hoses going into the heater core feel warm/hot. The heater control valve was replaced last winter (early this year).

I recently installed a body lift, but I don't see how that would cause the problem, though I didn't check the heat before the lift, so I'm not sure...

Anyone have any suggestions?

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you have checked the basics. I wonder if maybe the blend door isnt closing all the way like it should. You could try putting your control on recirculate (max a/c) and leave your setting at hot. This would close the blend door fully (in theory) and just recirculate the cab air. If its good and hot after you do that then you know the blend door isnt closing fully on other settings. My only other thought would be to check/replace the thermostat.

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I tried your suggestion and still nothing. It's freezing here for the first time this year, and I didn't even feel a hint of warm air. I decided to recheck everything I have checked so far and I found the problem. It felt like both hoses going into the heater core was hot, but it was only one of them. The other hose felt warm/hot because of the hose that was hot was touching it and warming it up.

So I noticed at the bottom of the heater control valve, the valve arm (or whatever it is) sticks out. So I pulled it out with my fingers as far as it would go, got in the truck, and I now have heat!

So I will have to replace that valve again...

Thanks for the help...

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good, I'm glad you solved it! No heat is no fun.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals