• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Smaller Pulley with Saginaw Pump?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last year I did a total tear down and rebuild of my 93 3.0, and in the process I threw on a Saginaw pump (local Advance had one, in stock, for like $50, can't beat that?). I've had it on and running since March, but one thing has bugged me to no end. When you are at warm idle (~700-750 rpm) the pump doesn't have enough power to help turn the steering wheel, it's more or less like a manual box. Just a little more rpm, either during cold idle or by blipping the throttle and it works fine. Unfortunately the 3.0 MTs in 93 did not have a Power Steering Pressure Switch which presumably would resolve the issue (based on my understanding of what they do). So the other alternative seems like a smaller pulley, right? I don't need much, I just need it spinning a little faster at idle.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. High RPM might potentially damage the pump, but that's only if you go there.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
What pully are you using now?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What pully are you using now?
I have the stock one that came with the truck. I'm not sure which one to run if I did go with a smaller one. I do have an extra non-AC idler pulley (got the wrong size and never returned it) to help take up the slack, so it'd be just figuring out which one to get.

My other option is to wire in the power steering pressure switch. Pretty sure the computer will recognize it because it complains during KOER diagnostics that it didn't register a change in pressure. The switches were not stock on the MTs from what I have seen.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Your best bet would be head down to the wrecking yard with a puller and start looking around. There were alot of American cars with Saginaw pumps and serpentine belts.

Another option would be searching the internet for the washer mod. THere is a shim or washer you can fool with in the pump that will boost the pressure.

If you find a smaller pulley, post up what you got it out of. I would love to get one too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals