• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slave Cylinder for 87 302 NV3550

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I've got a question about slave cylinders. I have an 87 4x4 ranger, I'm putting a 1991 302 motor in, and I'm using an NV3550 5 speed. I have used all the listed parts on TRS to build my 5 speed bell housing, flywheel, clutch, etc.. I used all the correct adapters from Advance Adapters to get everything to bolt up nicely. I have bought a slave cylinder for an 87 ford F150. The slave cylinder fits on the bell housing but it does not appear to fits to the line from the master. Am I doing something wrong, is there a different slave cylinder I need to us, line adapters, or does the master and all the fittings need to be changed out (hope not)? Any help is much appreciated. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I am thinking you also need the F150 master...... and line ....

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
The fittings on the line should be the same, that fitting that is held in with the pin.

And they should each have a quick-disconnect somewhere along the line. I did have a clutch line from an F-series, however, that had thequick disconnect BACKWARD from the way it is in the Ranger.

Worst case scenario, grab the hydraulic line from a F150 in a salvage yard. It will fit your master. (the line is quite expensive at the dealer)

What's the issue you're having? Not long enough? Different fitting? Pointing wrong direction?

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help. The problem I'm having is matching the slave cylinder to the existing Ranger master cylinder line. The fittings do not look the same.

I guess maybe I should pull the master with the line, and the slave out of the truck and lay it out on a bench. I was just told you need to do that anyways to bleed it. Do you know if that's true? If the lines do not match I'll take you advice Teddyzee and get a new line with the correct fitting. If that doesn't work I'll take your advice bdab and get a whole new F150 master with line.

If you know any tricks to make this process easier please let me know. Thanks again for your help.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Bleeding them is a real pain.

Fortunately, my current slave is external, so I was able to hold it in the engine bay, up above the master, to bleed the air out. A little harder to do that with the other type.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is an external so I'll take your advice and do the same. I have heard it can be difficult to bleed the clutch.:icon_thumby:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
The last time that I had to bleed a Ford slave, I simply used a vacumn pump on it. Took about 3-4 minutes, and the clutch works great, just remember to keep the res. filled up, though, or you get to do the whole thing over...

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you pump the clutch while using the vacuum?

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Nope, just worked the pump until there was a good steady stream of fluuid, then checked the clutch for feel. If you try to work the clutch while using the pump, you are going to be canceling out the effort to bleed. The pump will pull on its' own.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where did you get your pump? This sounds like a fantastic idea and a lot easier vs. what I was going to go through. Thanks a million for the tip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals