• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Significant wind noise from upper door seals at high speed,

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Howdy Folks,

Recently I took my truck on a long distance trip, and thanks to the beautiful open road and some new, higher speed limits. I've discovered a significant wind noise issue coming from both my driver and passenger side doors.

It's only present above 115-120 KpH, and is quite high pitched which tells me that the seal is only just being pushed open from the force of air. I can almost get the noise to stop by pulling very very hard with the tips of my fingers on the top edge of the door, but this isn't ideal at highway speeds, or ever frankly.

The door seals otherwise look to be in great condition, no rips tears, and are solid in place.

I'm going to try a couple things, but I'm also open to other recommendations:
  1. Bending the upper frame of the door gently and incrementally towards the vehicle with the windows rolled down.
  2. Adjusting the adjusting the door latch on the body of the vehicle itself.
If you have any other recommendations, given the vehicle is often at speeds at 110+ KpH, I'm eager to learn.

I'll be sure to document and take pictures when/if relevant for folks looking to fix this issue in the future.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
those can sure fix it but i would start with making sore the door striker at the cab side and then the door latch are adjusted at their max before doing the window frame bend. its very possible the cab side of the latch just need to be loosened a hair and pushed inwards. i had to do my 05 too and it fixed that highway wind noise. i actually have had to do it on lots of used vehicles i have bought and i always wonder how the latch gets moved out

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
those can sure fix it but i would start with making sore the door striker at the cab side and then the door latch are adjusted at their max before doing the window frame bend. its very possible the cab side of the latch just need to be loosened a hair and pushed inwards. i had to do my 05 too and it fixed that highway wind noise. i actually have had to do it on lots of used vehicles i have bought and i always wonder how the latch gets moved out
Good to know! I'll try that first before bending the door, given a change in shape could cause some other issues.

I'm guessing that after years, and miles of driving, maybe there's enough strain on the latch and mechanism that it just pulls the assembly away from the body ever so slightly, but who knows!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i assume thats possible. maybe people pushing on the door before they actually pull the handle to open it also aids in that movement? who knows but its an easy free fix to adjust the latch parts so i do those first

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Some of the model years had a plastic coating on the striker part of the latch, if I remember correctly. That might be worn and allowing a gap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals