• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Signal return multi-splice?

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 ranger 2.3 and my wires were rapped in my steering column. After further examination I found two signal wires that pulled out of a rubber piece that all the other signal return wires meet in some sort of splice. Can someone please explain to me what exactly that is and if I can somehow put it back together, or replace it. I'm not sure if this is a fusible link, because there is no writing on it. They are other places that have this same thing, but I'm not sure how to fix it or what I should do please help!!!!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
a rubber piece that all the other signal return wires meet in some sort of splice
It's hard to understand what you're describing.

If you can post a picture of what you're looking at. it would be much easier for us to give opinions and advice.

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Here are some pics it's a black oval rubber piece and every component that is in the truck has a signal wire that runs from the component and is joined together with this connection

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thank you; much better.

My "best guess" is that is the splice where all of the instrument panel's grounding wires are all tied together. In the '86 EVTM that is "S200"; see the diagram and the component location descriptions, below. You can verify it by unwrapping the harness and tracing one of the wires from S200 to its actual grounding point, at G200.

Some of your pics look like the wires are Black with White a stripe. The EVTM calls for Black. Ford changes stuff, and even factory manuals can have typos. You may want to verify that the splice point in question is grounded at G200, in order to confirm that it is in fact S200. But I didn't see any other large splices in a quick look through the book.

86 G200 a.JPG

86 G200 b.JPG

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i was going to comment that usually all the grounds will combine in something like you are describing. i have seen that on many makes and models of cars and trucks.

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay I've pulled a wire out it so I need to replace the entire splice? Or can I just splice the misplaced wire into any other wire that is fed in to that connection? The only thing that worries me about it being a ground is that it's the wire that sends the signal back to the ecm for the actuators so that's a neutral wire right? I'm not sure how it works in DC volts but the other reason is because there are a few more of these same identical rubber fittings that run from only one wire. is there some way to just reconnect that wire? (I will send pics of these other wires)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
if even just 1 wire pulls out of the multi-wire splice there is a good chance corrosion is in there.
in the past I've cut the black blob open and reconnected all the wires then sealed with a glob of sealant.

any trace of a green powder/substance is corrosion on copper wires.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would just splice the loose wire into any of those wires contained in the splice pack. As long as the integrity of the other wires there are in good shape and solid.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yes, you can just splice your loose stray wire(s) back into any of the Black wires on the OEM splice.

But, if wires pulled out of that 38 year old original splice point, I too would have big concerns that the splice may be rotten, bad or just shaky inside that nice molded cover.

If you cut out the original splice, to redo the connection of all of these ground wires back together, some of the several wires almost certainly will be too short to work with and to make a proper connection.

If this were my truck, I'd fix it by jumpering around, and just leaving, the original splice in place, like this:

splice jumper repair.JPG

Use a thickish wire for the jumper- 14 or even 12 ga. Any loose ground wires that were found dangling in the area, simply add them to either of your jumper splicing points.

Soldering such a jumper is HIGHLY recommended.

You're just replicating what is there already, and this the easiest, best way to do it.

technical drawing by robbieCAD -6.8; powered by old, tired gerbils

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay that's exactly what I will do then ty so much for everyone's help this truck has been one crazy adventure for me but I want to learn everything I can about her ty so much

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm not very good at soldering though, I will definitely have to practice

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm not very good at soldering though, I will definitely have to practice
Fine (thin diameter) solder works better, and use flux core solder.

The key thing, is to get the copper hot enough to melt and absorb the solder- feed the solder into the copper strands, right next to the soldering iron tip,, instead of melting it on the iron tip.

With just a little practice it's easy to get the hang of doing this quickly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals