• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I be concerned about the age of the tires I am purchasing?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would have a hard time paying full price for a set of 3yo tires.

I wouldn't have a problem running them.
^ this. Although 99% of other buyers wouldn't have even checked the date...and 99% of tire stores out there would just sell them as "new". I'd run em.

I've been known to run some ugly tires, old junk like Ranger850 posted will catch up with ya after a while. Threw two belts on my old set of Peerless tires... had a set of scabs on my Explorer that developed bubbles on the inside of the sidewalls, lost one during a trip to Colorado a few years ago. Grooved some tread into the remaining three and ran them on the offroad race truck!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
^ this. Although 99% of other buyers wouldn't have even checked the date...and 99% of tire stores out there would just sell them as "new". I'd run em.

I've been known to run some ugly tires, old junk like Ranger850 posted will catch up with ya after a while. Threw two belts on my old set of Peerless tires... had a set of scabs on my Explorer that developed bubbles on the inside of the sidewalls, lost one during a trip to Colorado a few years ago. Grooved some tread into the remaining three and ran them on the offroad race truck!

You're gonna need a bigger plug...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You're gonna need a bigger plug...
It actually didn't really leak much, the front end developed a very nasty vibration over maybe half a mile and ended in a BANG. I pulled over immediately and checked tires, they were all aired up, but I heard a hissing noise. At first I seriously thought I blew an AC line or something...then I saw that piece missing.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It actually didn't really leak much, the front end developed a very nasty vibration over maybe half a mile and ended in a BANG. I pulled over immediately and checked tires, they were all aired up, but I heard a hissing noise. At first I seriously thought I blew an AC line or something...then I saw that piece missing.
At first when I looked at that I thought "ummm did he put a tube in there?!"

:icon_rofl:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
old junk like Ranger850 posted
What I posted was phenomenal.
a dry rotted, out of date tire, with a plug in the sidewall, and a can of Fix-A-Flat. ( that's the white stuff leaking from the plug, promise)
still holding air, I might add. NOT that I am driving on it. That truck is parked until ... $$$

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Hey, thanks for all the info on this. I will go ahead with the purchase. The actual manufacture date code is 3318 so based on that, they won't even be three years old until end of August if my math is correct. Also, I will probably avg 10k a year on them so I should use them up before they would get too old. Thanks again.
I take it that this is an online purchase & you can't see the tires before buying them?

I realize that in the states web purchases are favourable but there are some items I won't purchase online & tires are one of them, If I can't personally examine what I'm buying at this sort of price for 4 then it's off to the nearby dealer to get them.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I take it that this is an online purchase & you can't see the tires before buying them?

I realize that in the states web purchases are favourable but there are some items I won't purchase online & tires are one of them, If I can't personally examine what I'm buying at this sort of price for 4 then it's off to the nearby dealer to get them.
I am the same way with certain things. I have a good tire store I like to deal with here... I have all my repairs and also all the wife and kids tires done there. When I wanted truck tires... it was the first place I went. The quote they gave me vs. the online price from 4WP was about $500 dollars difference on 5 wheels and tires mounted and balanced with a road hazard policy. The savings on my wheels and tires bought my front bumper... that I also bought online.

I believe in supporting my local folks... sometimes it just makes no financial sense to do so.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Goodyear announced that they were forcing all retailers to "cut the bead" of any tire still on the shelf after a manufacture date of 5 years old. This was way back in 1993.

Josiah Morgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
View attachment 61735
This tire was born in 2012:oops:. Dry rotted AF, but the plug held until I got home Saturday. Sunday, tire still had air. I am in the market for 5 new tires.
Oh wow, this tire have been through a lot. It is indeed a time for an upgrade and replacement. Which tire model are you planning to purchase?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals