• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shop lift?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've had a Bendpak 4 post for maybe 15 or so years now, and have install 4 others for friends, never a single bit of trouble from them, just to keep the cables adjusted and the sheaves greased. For BUILDING a project car, 4 Post all the way! No question, the runways double as workbenchs, all your tools and parts are with the car at the same height you are working, and you can leave it all laid out while working on and off for months without the stuff on carts and benchs and the floor in the way for day to day life, the suspension isn't drooping so you can work on setting ride heights, suspension clearances, building exhausts to clear the loaded suspensions, doing bodywork, and let's not forget OPENING THE GOD DAMN DOORS ON THE CAR IS UNIMPEEDED!!!!! So when buiding entire projects cars you have access to the whole car at all times, inside and out. There is also a safety aspect vs a 2 post that you can shove, beat, yank, push, pull the living hell out of the car working on it with no concerns of it tipping off or a lift arm kicking out. As well as and easy to load the car, no crawling on your (my) old knees everytime.

In that paragraph and those two pictures you covered some of the reasons I want both.

I could be nice to stick a project in a 4 poster and leave it there while working on it. I don't question the benefits of having one.

In the first picture you demonstrate why having two would be beneficial for me. I'd get a project piled up on one that I couldn't move, then suddenly need to work on something that a lift would be benificial for.

The second post demonstrates why a 2 poster would be better for a bunch of what I want a lift for. That is being able to lift the body off a frame. Two or three of my 4 trucks would barely fit under a 4 post lift, much less lift the body high enough to clear anything. I might could put shorter tires on the '99 Ranger and clear for lifting cab off. I might squeek by lifting the cab off the F100 if I took the tires off. I don't think there's any hope of clearing the 7.3 in the F250 even if I set the rotors straight on the floor.

With a 2 post, even the short maxjax style, I'm pretty certain that I could lift the body off any of them. Easier dropping axles, transmissions, etc with the underside open. Yes it can be done with a 4 post, but better access with the 2 post. Working on suspension is easier with everything out of the way.

Like I said, I'll most likely end up with both. Before I can start with either I need a shop and pad to put them in. That might put everything on hold. I spoke to someone last week about clearing the land for building. I've got about 2 acres of planted pines, pulpwood sized planted pines. $12k to have it cleared. I knew it would be cheap, but... 😦

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In that paragraph and those two pictures you covered some of the reasons I want both.

I could be nice to stick a project in a 4 poster and leave it there while working on it. I don't question the benefits of having one.

In the first picture you demonstrate why having two would be beneficial for me. I'd get a project piled up on one that I couldn't move, then suddenly need to work on something that a lift would be benificial for.

The second post demonstrates why a 2 poster would be better for a bunch of what I want a lift for. That is being able to lift the body off a frame. Two or three of my 4 trucks would barely fit under a 4 post lift, much less lift the body high enough to clear anything. I might could put shorter tires on the '99 Ranger and clear for lifting cab off. I might squeek by lifting the cab off the F100 if I took the tires off. I don't think there's any hope of clearing the 7.3 in the F250 even if I set the rotors straight on the floor.

With a 2 post, even the short maxjax style, I'm pretty certain that I could lift the body off any of them. Easier dropping axles, transmissions, etc with the underside open. Yes it can be done with a 4 post, but better access with the 2 post. Working on suspension is easier with everything out of the way.

Like I said, I'll most likely end up with both. Before I can start with either I need a shop and pad to put them in. That might put everything on hold. I spoke to someone last week about clearing the land for building. I've got about 2 acres of planted pines, pulpwood sized planted pines. $12k to have it cleared. I knew it would be cheap, but... 😦
I agree having both is best if possible. And size of vehicles worked on makes all the difference for what someone was use the most and how they will utilize it. There is just alot of misconception that 4-posts are only good for parking, and under-estimate the working capabilities of them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals