• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shock valving questions for someone who knows this stuff

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, after i get my chevy 64's arched and installed, im looking at FOA shocks to put in my daily driver. My question is about valving, as ive never valved shocks before, and i see options when ordering.

I dont have plans to jump the truck (risk of damage is too high for my DD) but i do want to be able to cruise across dunes at around 25-30 without bouncing everywhere. Gonna put the camburg 5.5 coil up front most likely, and make my own shock mounts for the FOA's, then strap everything. Ill build a shock hoop to mount them outside the frame.

so basically, how light is the valving in their systems? im assuming id want a extra light compress and a medium/light rebound. does this sound right? Im not running a cage, so theres not a lot of weight out back, just a spare 33. Not planning on a sway bar either.

Thanks for any help. im trying to get a plan together so i can tackle this stuff in a weekend.

Last edited:

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
i've got them on the back of my truck, zero complaints. no leaks or problems. their new shop and whatnot should just make them a better deal for the price.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sounds good to me. now just need to wait till its warm enough for my bike so i can park the truck and do the swaps.

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
whats your thoughts on FOA shocks?
I have heard nothing but horror stories about FOAs. Lenger was telling me after one trip on brand new shocks, the compression and rebound valving was shattered and he showed me pics of the seal head how it had been gouged by the poor machining of the shock body.

Here's what was left of the shims.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have heard nothing but horror stories about FOAs. Lenger was telling me after one trip on brand new shocks, the compression and rebound valving was shattered and he showed me pics of the seal head how it had been gouged by the poor machining of the shock body.

Here's what was left of the shims.

Did they stand behind their product after that happened?

Todd S.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
older shocks had issues, the newer ones the quality is a lot better. when i ordered seals for my shocks i got all new seal heads because they changed the design, and got 4 new spherical bearings because mine were worn out. and their customer service is some of the best out there.

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
you want it the other way around. extra light rebound, medium or medium/light compression.
I called FOA to get my spring rates and vavling questions answered...

They told me with the 2.5 14inch coilover remote resi shock i should run 350 (top spring 12" long) over 400 (bottom spring 16" long) spring rate with light rebound and med/firm compression for the front my truck... check out my build thread. Im running d35 front end with 4.0 OHV

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Quick Bump. Similar question different set up. What Compression and rebound would I want with 2.0x16 FOA for light jumping and higher speed off roading but not be too stiff on road. Will have a bolt in bed cage so some weight with the bed and cage

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals