• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Sediment in overflow tank

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I blew the head gasket on my 231k mile engine. There was some sediment in the overflow tank and it was empty when I checked a couple days later, plus the chocolate milk as oil. Replaced the engine with one that has 121k miles and looks in decent shape. Replaced water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, spark plug wires, timing belt, hoses.

Radiator was not replaced. The shop flushed the radiator. Coolant in the reservoir looked fine when they gave it back. I've noticed every few days I seem to get more sediment in the overflow reservoir now. I've vaccuumed the reservoir out, cleaned it with a hose, vaccuumed that out, then refilled coolant. Same thing happens every few days. My Mountain Dew color coolant turns slightly dirty and I seem to get some sediment that settles at the bottom of the overflow reservoir. I repeated this three times with same result every few days over a span of about 700 miles.

Does it likely need another flush? Suggestions?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did you flush the heater core?

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if the shop did that, I assume that is done separate than flushing the radiator? Is it something I can do easily? I bought three gallons of fluid and was hoping to do whatever is needed. Not sure if that's enough or too much also.

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Run an engine flush in the radiator, (make sure you do a full heat/cool cycle and rinse heat/cool cycle)..then pull the lower line to the radiator to ensure all the gunk from the block drains out rather than going into the new radiator...then ensure you keep good 50/50 antifreeze mix in her

Cast iron blocks w/o good antifreeze (actually a combination of anticorrosion and antiboil) can rust rather heavily and make alot of debris and stuff float around in the coolant

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals