• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Sediment in cooling tank

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 Ranger 2.5L engine. 235k miles on the radiator and all accessories. 125k on the engine. I keep getting sediment in the coolant tank every 1000 miles. Not much but enough to notice. I got a flush and it still happened. I waited about 3000 miles and went to the dealer since they claimed they use a better machine. After 500 miles there is sediment in there again. Dealer claimed the heater core is flushed too but it was only the service advisor that said that, so who really knows. I assume the service I had done should be under warranty, unless there's something else causing it.

Should I stop worrying about sediment or will it clog things up?

Does the radiator or something need to be replaced?

Suggestions?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It can get pretty bad before it will cause problems. The first thing you will notice is no heat or not much heat output in the winter. My 86 was so bad the radiator would not even drain coolant through the drain valve. The whole bottom of the radiator was solid full of rust sediment.

I cleaned it out and it happened again, and my heater core clogged. I cleaned it out again and it happened again. I finally just put pure water in it and flushed it out 2 or 3 times after running it a couple of days inbetween each pure water refill. I finally got it cleaned up and then guess what happened? The freeze plugs started leaking, they were rusted through.

I tried the rubber plugs, but one of them would not stay in the freeze plug hole. I finally pulled the engine and glad I did, the 2.9 I had uses a freeze plug in the bellhousing area and it was seeping also. Replaced all the plugs, resealed the engine, and it was good to go.

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Should I go back to the dealer and tell them I still have sediment or just leave it be?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Just leave it, but keep an eye on it.

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I hear ya man, i just now came in from flushing my system with distilled water, 4 times. Ran 2 bottles of coolant flush- first was added yesterday morning. It's still rust-colored, but I ran outta time & daylight. There were no previous issues, but I just recently picked this truck up n it has 145k. My overflow tank was mud too, so figured it needed it. Probably going to try this again soon, but I'll start on Saturday next time. Not sure how many flushes it's gonna take

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I hear ya man, i just now came in from flushing my system with distilled water, 4 times. Ran 2 bottles of coolant flush- first was added yesterday morning. It's still rust-colored, but I ran outta time & daylight. There were no previous issues, but I just recently picked this truck up n it has 145k. My overflow tank was mud too, so figured it needed it. Probably going to try this again soon, but I'll start on Saturday next time. Not sure how many flushes it's gonna take. But just fyi, mine was crazy dirty, with sediments, and there were no issues, even back in September when it was still hot. So you're probably fine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals