Strelok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been toying with the idea of adding a second tank to my Ranger.
I've been reading a few threads about it but they're not very informative.
It seems like there was a second tank option for the Ranger at one point but it's rare to find, so a Bronco 2 tank is probably my best bet. It hangs low but my truck is already lifted 4" so it should clear.

Seems like the B2 tank fits between the frame rails just fine, but might(?) require the crossmembers out of the B2? or a custom one?
The two main issues it seems like are that the short bed Rangers have a shock mount in the way, and the filler tube points at the bed.

How bad of an idea would it be to just move the shock mount to the other side of the frame rail?

My bed has a second angled spot in the back identical to the one in the front that the filler tube goes through, this means I would have clearance right?

Most threads mention having a second fuel pump and filler neck, but why would I need that?
Couldn't I just plumb the B2 tank into my current tank and have it function as one big tank?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 57CD9601BD5AB4 Expires: July 1, 2019

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I added a second tank to my 87 ranger. You will have to add the correct crossmember, tank straps, wiring, tank selector switch, tank selector valve, fuel hose, return line (if yours is efi) and filler neck.
The issue with plumbing them together is the rear tank is several inches higher. That means you would only be able to utilize about hslf it's capacity. Easiest route in my opinion is to find a wrecked truck of the same year and pull everything out of that. Otherwise you'll be building on to your original harness which turned into a pita for me because I'm not the best with wiring.

Edit: the tank is the same as the B2 tank, if you go that route just get the crossmember, tank, straps, nuts n bolts and skid pan.