• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

School me on paint....

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I probably will not get to painting my F-150 at this rate until next year, but I think I need to learn some about what paint I should be putting on. And I have a question about the time between now and paint...

As far as paint goes, I've largely settled on a color. 1997 F-series paint code LE - Royal Blue. Or since I know factory color match paint can be pricey, I'd be happy with similar shade of metallic blue. (That color is a little brighter than the 1995 F-series paint code LA - medium royal blue that my truck came with). Looking at paints I see single stage, two stage, epoxy, enamel, laquer, etc. I have no idea what it all means. Then comes the fact that I don't think the factory metallic colors have enough metallic shine to suite my tastes. And I'm suspecting that to help with all that I'll need to clearcoat whatever gets done. (Anyone within a couple hundred miles of Western PA happen to be interested in painting this that is knowledgeable in doing it??)

Now, as far as my question for now....

My new front fenders come pre-primed (supposedly) in black. I've been told that if it's not going to get painted right away I should spray it with epoxy primer (which I've also been told is expensive). I have a couple spray cans of VHT Roll Bar and Chassis epoxy paint that I got for doing my roll cage in my choptop, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to just hit the front fenders a quick once-over with that to protect them for the time being and when it comes time to paint the truck just hit them with some sandpaper and squirt the whole truck with whatever primer is needed for whatever topcoat it gets?

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I don't think you have to spray the fenders with the primer, I don't know why you would have to paint them right away... But pretty much with paint it's fairly simple, you sand it down all nice, prime it, paint it (as many coats as you feel necessary), and then clear coat it. And if you want to go to the creative side, you can spray it with NeverWet and literally nothing will stick to it. But basically that's a two-stage paint job. A one stage paint job is pretty much just painting it and not really doing much else, it's less work, but in the end the paint won't last as long. Now for paint types, epoxy is a sort of paint that you would find with parking spaces and stuff, its got to be durable to withstand the elements. Enamels are also a durable paint that drys fairly quickly. And finally lacquers are fast drying paints for quick coats.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If the fenders are only primed, I'd like to put something on them to protect them. Money and time are why I'm skipping painting the truck now (I still have to fix the bed yet) and I don't think anything will change before I use the truck for plowing snow this winter. I'd rather not have my fenders rusting before I can paint them next year.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Primer is porous and will allow moisture through and start rusting from under the paint... you may not notice anything and then there it is bubbling of the paint.
Play I t safe and get the painting done ASAP, Cab/Front Fenders first then the bed.

Also, the stock primer needs to be cleaned up and block sanded, you will find small imperfections in the surface and they need to be cleaned up. Some of the aftermarket fenders require bondo and a lot of sanding.

Depending on where you purchased them and where they came from the fenders may need a complete sanding to bare metal, then metal etching primer or epoxy primer then sand and spray to a smooth surface before the top coat can be applied.

Just me !

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought the KemFx base/clear urethane kit on Ebay for about $220 shipped. It includes a gallon base and reducer, a gallon clear and activator. It's important to buy all the paint from one mfg. as part of a system to avoid problems. You can check them out at www.the coatingstore.com. I will be painting my Ranger in a couple weeks when the weather gets a little drier and will let you all know how it turns out. (this will be my first crack at painting a vehicle).:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals