• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS options for a 1996 AWD 5.0 Explorer?

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Bought a 1996 5.0 AWD Explorer and it runs mint, but has front end problems. ball joints, tierod end and a front wheel bearingor hub?

Body is rough, almost gone rockers, but otherwise looks pretty good. I would like to build a decent off roader and have access to lots of different axles, fullsize and 66-77 Bronco. several different Tcases in my stock of parts too.

considering keeping it street legal for insurance reasons, and I hate trailer queens:annoyed:

I don't mind putting on cutouts and would like to stay with aprox 35-36" tires.

I have the ability to make my own front crossmember, and :icon_welder: it in:icon_thumby:

Ideas and suggestions welcome good or bad:D
:beer::beer:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I would use a HP D44 since it is a 5.0. Wether you use full with or narrow width axles is up to you or what the vehicle has to have. I would try to run coils but that all depends on how hard you want to beat the truck and what your going to be using it for.

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1979 Bronco rolling chassis with 4" lift , but they only have 3.50s in them:sad:

I saved my dana 60 and 70 axles with detroit lockers from my 78 supercab, they have 4.10s in them. but they are awfull heavy for an explorer :dunno:

I would like to stick with the original eng/trans. but am saving an M5OD from an 88 F150 4x4 just in case.

I would like to plate it, but if it is a little too extreme I can live withthat:D
I only have a 15min drive to work so I can drive anything that far:icon_rofl:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People put D60 on rangers all the time. Saw one guy with a 2.9 liter with D60 but he had a dubbler t-case on his but the 2.9 could still turn the monster tires he was using.

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
People put D60 on rangers all the time. Saw one guy with a 2.9 liter with D60 but he had a dubbler t-case on his but the 2.9 could still turn the monster tires he was using.
just got off the phone with an old 4 wheeling buddy and he has a Dana 70 powerlock carrier with 5:13 gears(will trade for parts I have:D), and says he can get me 5.13 dana 60 7F gears to fit my detroit locker for around $200 new:shok:.

this might actually work. maybe offroad specific but......

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats a steal!!!!!!!! New gears for my D30 i putting under my truck start at $187 but I'm trading a Jeep Dana 35 detroit locker and 4.56 gears for Dana 30 3.73 gears (it currently has 4.56 which will be gone very soon)!!!

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not liking this rack and pinion steering for offroading:sad:.
and my dad is bugging me for the GT40&trans for his 72 Bronco, I think it is going to get parted out.
might keep the 8.8 disc rear for a project vehicle too. lots of good parts on it.

I honestly did not know they went away from the steering box and into a rack/pinion with the explorer changeup in 95.:icon_confused::annoyed:

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not liking this rack and pinion steering for offroading:sad:.
and my dad is bugging me for the GT40&trans for his 72 Bronco, I think it is going to get parted out.
might keep the 8.8 disc rear for a project vehicle too. lots of good parts on it.

I honestly did not know they went away from the steering box and into a rack/pinion with the explorer changeup in 95.:icon_confused::annoyed:
Doesnt matter you wouldnt keep the R&P steering anyways. Depending on how far forward you push the axle you can use either a 86-95 Toyota IFS steering box or a FJ60 Steering box. The IFS box is a rearward swing box (pitman arm faces back towards the cab) and the FJ60 is a forward swing box (pitman arm faces front) And as far as replacing the AWD with 4x4, I think your looking for a BW4406 Tcase to work with your stock trans.

IFS Toyota Boxes: Left is a 86-89 depending on if its a Truck or 4runner and the right is a 89-91 depending on if its a Truck or 4runner

FJ60 Steering Box:

Last edited:

USMC0708

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How did this swap go? I'm looking to do this to my explorer but I have no clue where to start. The previous owner took the front axle out and put 2 wheel drive spindles on it. I still have the t case but no front awd parts.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Holly old thread batman.

You know as much as we do, the last post he posted was it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals