• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS cost?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In my experience, it takes longer than 5 min to pull a shaft on a D30, especially if the axle hasn't been gone through in a while, but that is besides the point. Aside from the weak housing and the smallish ring and pinion gears, my biggest gripe with the D30 is that it is not even a full floating axle, it is a semi-floater. If you pull the stub shafts out of a unit bearing D30, the unit bearings will fall apart, and your wheels will fall off.

If you are going to do it, do it right. A D30 is a step backwards, they might survive under 3,500# rigs, but were never intended under a 4,500# supercab Ranger. D44's work for some people for reasons already mentioned; but IMHO you aren't gaining a lot. If you can at all afford it, go with D60's.

hick

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
That new kit is still very expensive. You need to spend over $500, and that's just for knuckles. Even with junkyard parts you're probably looking at $700 for just the conversion, plus the cost of the axle and gears and a locker for it. You could put gears, a locker, and chromo shafts into a real 44 for that price. I just saw a freshly rebuilt HP kingpin D60 sell for $1000. For a little more than the cost of a hub conversion on a D30 you could be running a 60.

You need to do a cost benefit analysis when it comes to this stuff. You want the most performance out of each dollar you spend, and you want a setup that you'll be happy with for awhile. When you run a CBA on a D30 it just doesn't make sense to swap one into an RBV.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
You need to do a cost benefit analysis when it comes to this stuff....it just doesn't make sense to swap one into an RBV.
That statement applies to more than just what you reference (a Dana 30). :stirthepot:

The OP wasn't asking about what is right for his application. He was asking about COST for doing said swap. It'd be nice if for once, threads were capable of staying on topic.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
That statement applies to more than just what you reference (a Dana 30). :stirthepot:

The OP wasn't asking about what is right for his application. He was asking about COST for doing said swap. It'd be nice if for once, threads were capable of staying on topic.:rolleyes:

Freedom of speech is a bitch ain't it.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Freedom of speech is a bitch ain't it.
More like usefulness of a thread. Every SAS thread turns into a pissing match between D30 v. D44 or SAS v. TTB.

It's getting to be a waste of time to ask any SAS-related question around here.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I've done my entire axle swap on my ZJ on a budget. Here's the run down

$300 for the ZJ

$50 for the parts truck (Was $400 but I made back some money parting it. This includes axles, wheels, tires, drive shafts, power steering box, extended radius arms, drop brackets, coil buckets, shock towers, the entire shabang)

$165 for some 6.5" lift coils

$40 for the leaf spring hangers

$80 for a set of 63" chebbys

$40 for a set of chebby drop shackles

Free transmission

and about 60 bucks in cut off wheels, and other misc. shit.

I still need to take care of steering, shocks, brakes, and a front d-shaft.

So total so far I've only got about 735 bucks into the entire rig.

With gears, spool in rear, lunch box up front, steering, shocks, and brakes, I'm guessing I'll have still under 2 grand into the build.

And from this I still have an extra Dana44, ,coil buckets, power steering box, and some other shit left over to SAS the Ranger for cheap as hell.

Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals