• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remote Turbo Install Complete!

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remote custom tuning can be accomplished with good results, you just have to datalog your truck and send those logs to your tuner. If your tuner even thinks about trying to tune your vehicle, in person or remotely, without logging then go somewhere else. Still it is best to tune a FI combo in person because you can hear, feel, and see what the vehicle is doing and help diagnose any problems that may arise in some combinations.
Yay, Rocket :) - very knowledgeable. Helped me alot with my setup. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I wanted the tuner to be able to see EXACTLY what was going on, not a "describe the problem and hope they understand" affair. Eww. For as skeptical as alot of people have been about the Sniper setup, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Haven't had a single issue with it. The tune it put together set me at 12.5AFR @ 18deg adv. I dropped the AFR to 11.4:1 and left the timing at 18deg. Runs like a champ. For whatever reason, it does have a little bit of a stumble for about the first 30 seconds you start it up when it's really cold outside. It's been down around -10 or so up here the last week, and the truck doesn't move until it sits and idles for yeah, 30-45 seconds. Then it's fine. I'm going to put a new coolant temp sensor in it and see if that helps. I noticed the gauge has been reading slightly higher than usual, so for $10, the sensor is a quick check/fix.

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
The tune it put together set me at 12.5AFR @ 18deg adv. I dropped the AFR to 11.4:1 and left the timing at 18deg. Runs like a champ.
Why so rich?

For whatever reason, it does have a little bit of a stumble for about the first 30 seconds you start it up when it's really cold outside. It's been down around -10 or so up here the last week, and the truck doesn't move until it sits and idles for yeah, 30-45 seconds. Then it's fine.
I think that if you check your datalog you'll find that the computer is over fueling during open loop, then when the oxygen sensor heats up and starts working, it corrects itself.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why so rich?
It's only 11.4 - 11.5:1 under WOT. Anything above about 12:1 at full boost is quite lean for forced induction.

I think that if you check your datalog you'll find that the computer is over fueling during open loop, then when the oxygen sensor heats up and starts working, it corrects itself.
Underfueling according to the wideband. I'm gonna swap out the coolant temp sensor sometime this week and see if that doesn't help. If it doesn't, then oh well, I'm calling it done. It's by no means a big deal, I just have to wait a little bit to drive it first thing in the morning!

rocket5979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's only 11.4 - 11.5:1 under WOT. Anything above about 12:1 at full boost is quite lean for forced induction.

Underfueling according to the wideband. I'm gonna swap out the coolant temp sensor sometime this week and see if that doesn't help. If it doesn't, then oh well, I'm calling it done. It's by no means a big deal, I just have to wait a little bit to drive it first thing in the morning!

Your cold start fueling is likely off in the tune. That will cause issues with the way the truck runs initially until warmed up. I have messed with this in the SCT stuff but I have no idea if Sniper has that provision in your level of software or not.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your cold start fueling is likely off in the tune. That will cause issues with the way the truck runs initially until warmed up. I have messed with this in the SCT stuff but I have no idea if Sniper has that provision in your level of software or not.
Mine doesn't. It's available, but since I've gone back to school it hasn't been an issue. It only happens when it hits near zero outside, and the elevation is enough lower here it hasn't been a problem. I just let it sit and idle for 30sec or so before I have to leave and it's fine. Wideband reads a little lean until it pops over to closed loop.

What's on the list for the Ranger Rocket?

Last edited:

rocket5979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mine doesn't. It's available, but since I've gone back to school it hasn't been an issue. It only happens when it hits near zero outside, and the elevation is enough lower here it hasn't been a problem. I just let it sit and idle for 30sec or so before I have to leave and it's fine. Wideband reads a little lean until it pops over to closed loop.

What's on the list for the Ranger Rocket?

OBD-II 5.0 V8 swap, Atlas TC, Custom axle swap front and rear (haven't fully decided which ones), custom lift on some 33's if not 35's... Basically make it into a decent little offroader. Nothing special or fast.

Last edited:

v6TurboRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
V8RangerBoy Looks like you built a nice turbo sys on your ranger I plan to put togeather a remote sys on my 89 2.9 4x4 this spring I already have a T3/T4 50 trim gerret turbo turbonetics wastegate and BOV , a small FMIC . I also have a EFI034 additonal injector controler and a pair of 650 cc injectors I plan to install into the intake to take care of the extra fuel needed under boost . the one thing I have not gotten jet is the elect. pump needed for the oil return from the turbo if you don't mind me asking what type of pump did you use on your sys I was planning to get a low presure eclct. fuel pump but if you can shed any light on this subject for me I would be very greatfull
Thanks

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sure thing - took me a while to find one, but the one I ended up with is really popular among the TurboMustang guys. I also found a few Cavalier's, Miata's, etc using it with good results. Longevity shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't submerge it or something like that.

ShurFlo part no. 2088-643-236 - about $100.

Not a bad idea to run an inline oil cooler if you have a decent way of fitting it, just to help out.

Last edited:

v6TurboRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info thats a big help

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
Sniper tuning.

Hey i saw that you were using sniper's tuning software. I actually went to school at an auto college and one of the head software engineers taught me my programming skills. He has a dyno shop here in IN and i try to keep in touch with him alot since he can hook me up with dyno time as well as tuner discounts. Just thought i'd share that bit of info. Great build btw im workin on something similar on my 94 ranger.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
loving it!

i'd like to see it on the dyno too..

nicely done!:icon_thumby:

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
Hey what did that M5OD come out of? My truck came stock with an M5OD-R1 Whats the difference?

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
What are the requirements as far as stock enginne management/diagnostic systems to run Sniper/SCT?? Does it have to be OBDII, EECV etc?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just so you know, he sold this truck several months ago. I don't think he's active on this forum anymore.

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
Damn guess i'll start a thread, thank you davis.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals