• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Cylinder swap questions

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
I’m sitting in the driveway working on my 86’s rear brakes and have a couple questions

1. The bleeder is broken off and extractor is not getting it out. So bought another cylinder. The bleeder is substantially larger. Does this matter, side to side?
1b. Should I replace both sides?

2. Shoe placement. My son said he thought the larger shoe goes on the front (it’s not currently.) which is correct?

Thanks for all the help!
John

Attachments

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
Thanks Ron.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Theoretically you should replace both brake cylinders at the same time, same as you should replace both calipers. Brakes should always be done in pairs. That said, I, along with others, have done only one side a number of times for varying reasons usually revolving around time or money.

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
That was my thought… I have two… BUT…
It was my plan to replace both but after the 1/2 day affair of replacing the first, I’m going to wait. The hard line was rusted to the fittings so I had spend an hour at autozone getting stuff to make a new line. And if that side was brutal the other will probably be equally as tough.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That was my thought… I have two… BUT…
It was my plan to replace both but after the 1/2 day affair of replacing the first, I’m going to wait. The hard line was rusted to the fittings so I had spend an hour at autozone getting stuff to make a new line. And if that side was brutal the other will probably be equally as tough.
Yeah, after going through that a time or two, I bought a coil of line, flaring tool and some fittings so I could make my own lines as needed. Now that Ni-Copp line is available that doesn’t rust, I buy stainless fittings from Summit Racing and I upgraded to a lever style flare tool and rusty brake lines is a significantly lessened problem. Now days it’s usually the ends of the rubber hoses that rust, but I’m starting to experiment with slathering those with a mix of grease and used oil to see if I can solve that problem.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
The flare nut wrench tool really helped me in this work, if you don't already have it, which you probably do. It was new to me, and helps a lot because when the connections or bleeders are frozen it's not hard to gee up the head. I can still get those short brake lines from the center distribution point to the sides though. Had to do all that on the '99. I really haven't taken a good look at the '97, but dealer said they replaced drums and rotors, would kind of think they did cylinders too, but I don't know. I do know the brakes work really well.
If you're replacing the cylinder and the line won't come out of it then it seems easiest, to just take the line out with the cylinder and get/make new line for the new cylinder.
Self evident I suppose. Thanks for the great info on replacing with upgraded materials.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, after going through that a time or two, I bought a coil of line, flaring tool and some fittings so I could make my own lines as needed. Now that Ni-Copp line is available that doesn’t rust, I buy stainless fittings from Summit Racing and I upgraded to a lever style flare tool and rusty brake lines is a significantly lessened problem. Now days it’s usually the ends of the rubber hoses that rust, but I’m starting to experiment with slathering those with a mix of grease and used oil to see if I can solve that problem.
Yeah, this!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals