• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really bad Highway Mileage ??

jds535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just got this truck and got it going so I don't have a lot of History with it.

That said, I have a 98 extra cab 4X4 with an automatic trans, stock tires. 184K miles on the truck but only 70K on the motor I just put in it.
I ran it back and forth to work this week and recorded the MPG. I got about MPG with mostly town driving.
I just did a 25 mile highway run and got ABOUT 4 mpg. It burned 1/4 of a tank of gas in 25 miles. You could almost watch the gauge go down.

My tranny has overdrive and it works, I did not use AC. It was taching about 2700 rpm's at 70 miles per hr.

Anybody have any ideas?

, jeff

jds535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thats supposed to say 20 mpg around town, earlier this week, then 4 mpg on the highway today.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you need a few rithmatic lessions.. Ther is no way to average your milage except from tank to tank.. "this afternoon" is no way to have any idea at all.
Big JIm

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how are you calculating MPG?

jds535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ok, here's my rithmatik.

I Filled the tank to the top on Monday morning, reset the trip meter to 0, drove Mon - Thurs, filled up again and marked the mileage at 180 miles.

So 180 miles divided 9.25 gallons to fill up is 19.45 mfg. Now since I did a little puttering around with the truck this week, flushing and refilling the coolant etc and I left the truck running in my yard for 2 hours or so... I rounded the actual up to what would have been approx 20mpg or so.

After the refill, drove to work on Friday, then drove up to the city. I noticed the gas gauge moved quite a bit on the 10-12 miles of highway on the way up, so on the way back I marked the gauge at 7/8 of a tank. ( my job is about half way to the city )
so, on the way back, I had 7/8 of a tank of gas, drove 25 miles, got home had 5/8 of a tank left. My tank is 18 gallons - so I figured I burned 4.5 gallons.
So the math is 25 miles divided by 4.5 gallons is 5.5 mpg. Still horrible.

Truck still runs good. As I mentioned above taching 2700 rpm is not that excessive.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the long winded explaination but

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After the refill, drove to work on Friday, then drove up to the city. I noticed the gas gauge moved quite a bit on the 10-12 miles of highway on the way up, so on the way back I marked the gauge at 7/8 of a tank. ( my job is about half way to the city )
so, on the way back, I had 7/8 of a tank of gas, drove 25 miles, got home had 5/8 of a tank left. My tank is 18 gallons - so I figured I burned 4.5 gallons.
So the math is 25 miles divided by 4.5 gallons is 5.5 mpg. Still horrible.
No, you can't do this. Do not assume the gauge is linear. Do not assume anything about the gas gauge, really. The only thing you can use to accurately calculate MPG is your odometer and the receipt from the gas station.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thought so! See above post! Go fill it up again to see actual milage..
Big Jim

jds535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
mouse nest in airbox. The filter was half blocked.

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
that happened to me twice. once mouse nest, second time chipmunk filled it with seed. therefore i put some window screen on the inside of it held in place by some caulk and gorrilla tape and hasne happened in over a year

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, you can't do this. Do not assume the gauge is linear. Do not assume anything about the gas gauge, really. The only thing you can use to accurately calculate MPG is your odometer and the receipt from the gas station.
ditto. a full tank fills higher than the gauge reads as "full". thats why it seems like the gauge moves faster between 1/2 and E than from F to 1/2

Buba Ganushe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Automatic
I run about the same rpm wise to keep it steady at about 70-75 hard to tell for me cuz my speedo is a lil off but then again i do have 2wd

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals