• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rangers from PNW

Fawks761

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Helloooo ranger station from the pnw wet coast of WA. I joined up because I have ambitions to put a ford 300 I6 in my ranger one day (this engine is still on a stand and in progress will upload the build later)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Have you measured this yet? That is a very long engine and the ranger engine compartment is very short. I think it has been done before, but it's not easy.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I think @bobbywalter is working on a plan to relocate the radiator to the right rear cab window. Might help.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Fits no problem going with carb or aftermarket Induction. Factory efi needs hacking of the intake or everything else.

Depending on year you have up to 40 inches to work with.

The second gen sport trac will eat a 6bt no problem. The 300 ford is about the line on the ranger.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Fits no problem going with carb or aftermarket Induction. Factory efi needs hacking of the intake or everything else.

Depending on year you have up to 40 inches to work with.

The second gen sport trac will eat a 6bt no problem. The 300 ford is about the line on the ranger.
Is an electric pusher fan mandatory? Moving the radiator forward? Do all the 300's use the larger flywheel/bellhousing? If so, hammer work on the floorboard or a body lift required?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well...if i were to do this for me....

i prefer at least a 2 in body lift.. regardless.

yes i would relocate the radiator forward...maxed out like my current ranger....electric puller fan.

induction would/could be tricky depending on what one wanted to do. if i wanted it for a 4x4 that would see decent wheelin...pre 85 ish head....big cam...4 bbl offy and basic fi tech efi with a dui distributor....thats about 2 g worth of goodies.....so i would really want to have a 300 to do that. and none of its necessary....a2100 2bbl will do fine but the 50 hp that is there and flatter with the money parts will be nice.

for just a meh mobile....just a stock 1 or 2bbl setup and get it awn. with a later efi engine....i would hack up the intake and log/bread box it low and leave the stock tune... you will lose mid range tq...but still be better then any 2bbl engine.

for a bug out ride.....motronic setup with a 2bbl and a mechanical fan....manual trans...

a cleaned up stock exhaust manifold for a stock cam situation....and create from there.

oil pans vary a bit. the later pan massaged is the one i have seen in the ttb chassis.

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/mad-science-a-drag-racer-sliced-and-diced-a-pair-of-ls-heads-stuck-them-together-and-mounted-them-on-a-ford-inline-six/

Last edited:

Fawks761

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Have you measured this yet? That is a very long engine and the ranger engine compartment is very short. I think it has been done before, but it's not easy.
Nah I haven't done so yet, mainly because I've not even started the rebuild of the ford 300 yet. I mean, whether it fits or not that engine is still gonna get built. Worse to worse if it cant be crammed in my ranger, I have a 1st gen Ford Lightning also. Could just have the 300 on standby incase I somehow blow that 5.8 351W

@ all others: thanks for the thread attention. Right now the aforementioned 97 ranger I have is just my commuter but I love that little guy so much that once his engine croaks, I just wanna drop another in. (just hopefully it will be the 300! when that time arrives)

Waldoduhh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome fawks. Look forward to seeing the build!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals