• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger box/bed bolt question

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning..... my 2004 Ranger project continues with a newer 2005? Ranger box that I am restoring. It was in decent shape but needs a ton of work to make it perfect. The goal is to have all the body work done and the bed repainted by Christmas and then the restored box will sit outside covered with a tarp while the original damaged/rusty box is removed and I work on the frame, new shocks, etc.... I was supposed to have the underside completely done by Thanksgiving but that was expedited yesterday when everything was going right, so I just kept working through the day. The last thing was to shoot the primered underside with undercoating.

The reason for this post is to ask if anyone has had any experience with some bolts underneath the bed. I am NOT talking about the six mounting bolts that connect the box to the frame.... I know all about them. When I got the box there were four smaller bolts installed. I removed them, cleaned them on the wire wheel and put them back. I have no idea what they are for..... Can anybody give me a clue about these four bolts? I have watched several You Tube videos about how to remove a Ranger bed and not one of them says anything about these four bolts. I will look under my Ranger to see if there might be some purpose for these four but ???? I am looking for the definitieve answer or some guesses.... All thoughts are appreciated.... Thanks PS... I attached a picture of the location of these four bolts and added a piece of green tape on them so you can more easily see their locations.... and the letter F for the front of the box.... and just remembered what two of them are for I think.... aren't they for the support rods that are incorporated with the rear mudguards that hold the rear quarter parts firm? If so, what are the two front bolts for?

Thanks again...
Dennis

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just a guess here...

With a body lift it's common to use "gap filler panel". Maybe those bolts held that filler panel in place?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There are supposed to be four metal bars/straps that attach the bed sides to the bottom of the bed to keep them stiff. My assumption is that is what these four bolts are for, they look like they are in the correct place.

I have the ones I took off my 2003 when I swapped beds.

I can go and take some pictures of the underside of my 2011 later if no one shows up with something more concrete.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Front
AD76BF32-46BA-4597-8EC1-8581941055E3.jpeg

Back
391F5283-57C6-4022-8FEC-F02E41E42630.jpeg

They clip nuts to attach to the bed side.

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey.... thanks to everyone.... and after I sent the message I went out to sand some more paint and while doing this mindless work I kept looking at the locations of the bolts and I knew the back ones that also work with the mudguards, were removed making the rear panels kind of weak/floppy.... and then looked at the location of the front ones and assumed that there must be some there too....

It's a picky question, but when I was sanding, I got to the back side/edge and found the same kind of protective vinyl? strips on the corners to protect them.... They peel right off so I can sand and paint correctly later and I may/may not reapply some new plastic pieces... Has anybody ever replaced these or do you just make your own? Do they have a name?

Thanks....

Dennis

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals