• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions regarding trans. fluid and axl fluid...

nh2123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I have 2004 Ford ranger with a 2.3 engine in it and manual trans. I was wondering if the truck would drive and shift better if I changed the manual trans fluid to full synthetic as well as the real axl fluid to full synthetic. Any help on this appreciated. - Mike

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from what iv herd, the tranz and rear axle are sealed with symthetic lube and are good for the life of ur truck

nh2123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
oh, ok thanks for the response.

Rico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I remember on an episode of horsepower tv that they had a LS1 trans am and they put royal purple in everything front to back. So they put that thing on a dyno and it made a whopping 7hp more than stock. So with your 2.3L I don't think you'll see very much improvement in anything that is noticeable from behind the steering wheel.:no2: But if you do try it let us know what happens. I got a 2.3L too and it needs all the help it can get.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford claims you don't have to change MT lube, people on here recommend anywhere between 30k and 80k (miles). As for the rear axle, that's ever 100k miles. I don't think Ford claims you can skip that.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The owner's manual for my '06 b2300 states that the rear diff lube doesn't need to be changed unless the rear diff is submerged in water. I'm going to be doing it anyways, though. I don't believe in "lifetime" lubricants. Back in the late 80's, Volkswagen claimed that the fluid in their manual trannies never needed changed, and even went so far as to put tamper-resistant drain holes on them. However, the fluid was hardly "lifetime", and there were numerous reports of manual trannies failing as soon as 50k. Used Oil Analyses done on "lifetime" fluid changed out after less than 50k were absolutely horrible, as expected.

Needless to say, I don't buy into the whole "lifetime" lubricant craze. If it's used to lubricate moving parts that generate heat and friction, it will need to be changed, eventually.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Huh, I'll have to go check my manual then. I know the Haynes manual calls for the 100k mark, and I thought it was because Ford recommended it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I woud change the diff fluid early (>25k miles) to get all the break-in metals out of it. Then you can go at least another 60k before changing again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals