• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Rat

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I've been quite busy with random projects, parties, concerts, random work, and now a new project that I just started with my PT cruiser, I shall call this project Project Rat.

Project rat is about getting out of the normal swing of things in Calgary. Everyone has their cars riced out, their trucks either jacked up or slammed, and everything is polished to a shine. I was driving around yesterday and noticed 3 other PT cruisers with the exact same after market rims as I have, and they were all the same black. I have decided I hate looking the same as everyone else. I started with something I have been meaning to do for over a year now. paint my gray bumpers...semi-flat black. This is just the start. next on the list is the front fenders, then the front doors, then the rear doors, then the rear quarters and tailgate. after the car is in her new tone, the roof shall be checker boarded, and the hood stripped of paint to let the rusting begin. I have yet to see another Ratted PT out on the roads, and its something that I don't see very often. If anyone is interested in seeing the evolution of this project let me know and I can start a "build" thread. Anyone interested in seeing what potential a PT Cruiser has?

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wouldnt strip the hood just to let it rust. There are steps you can take with paint to give it that "rusty" look.

Paint it with like a maroon bottom coat then go over with the top coat. Then wet sand it down in spots to let the maroon show through. I've seen it done, but never tried it.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
This is a Rat project, I'm not looking to throw a ton a money at it, in true rat form she's getting rust, and if the hood rusts to fast or holes start appearing, then I go to the junkers and buy another hood and paint it semi-flat black. When rust is controlled, it is quite manageable.

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
sounds like a neat project to me, keep us updated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals