• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Odds n ends, like rear springs with a negative arch:

After 22 years, its time to replace the Motorcraft front shocks:

:icon_rofl:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Crawling underneath its time to start busting stuff. Whoever thought up putting 10mm bolts on the T-case skidplate should be shot with a ball of his own $#!+. :thefinger: Broke two sockets and wound up grinding the things off. Didn't improve much after that, rounding off a nut on the crossmember. At this point I'm starting to lack tools again, like a 8mm (?) 12 point wrench for the front driveshaft bolts and a 18mm deep socket for the crossmember. Must be Miller time. :beer:

Innit purdy under there? :icon_rofl:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i have a love/hate relationship w/ those 12 point bolts in the driveshafts.. they are annoying b/c most of my sockets are 6 point (duh, buy good tools! lol) but i do like them b/c i've never had issues w/ rounding one off.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I totally agree with you on that. They're a great idea, if you have quality tools. Which I already knew I didn't. Even with the right one for the rear driveshaft, I couldn't break it free at the axle end.
I think I'll invest more in PB Blaster too. lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I totally agree with you on that. They're a great idea, if you have quality tools. Which I already knew I didn't. Even with the right one for the rear driveshaft, I couldn't break it free at the axle end.
I think I'll invest more in PB Blaster too. lol
ALWAYS have pb blaster ready.
that's one of the usually unspoken rules of the shop i work at... :icon_rofl: we buy it by the pallet. :icon_surprised::icon_rofl:

i've never had issues w/ my skidplate bolts tho.. but then again, i get better luck w/ stuff on mine usually.. mine is a southern born and raise b2.. never been up north. never in salt and crap.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Heh. Salt. Theres a tow hitch under the front bumper on mine for launching boats. It lived on an island before I got it. Nevermind road salt, this things been in the ocean! :icon_rofl: :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well, its getting there.

I'm almost to the point of yanking the 2.9, save for prying (or cutting) off the exhaust and disconnecting whats all connected to the A4LD. And the rear driveshaft, I bent up a good 12 point 12 mm wrench and can't get it off the diff. Front d-shaft is unbolted from the T-case but for reasons that escape me, the bolts are different at the D-35 from what was on the T-case. The crossmember is out, shouldn't be long now. Only had around 2 hours to put on it today. If I get that much tomorrow, I should get it out. :yahoo:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Tomorrows tool of choice will be a Bernzomatic torch. I'm to the point of using heat. Brute force can only go so far in this instance...
Crossmember out:

Steiger Man

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Keep it up.
Buy quality tools.
Snap-On
Mac
Proto
Craftsman.
in that order, NEVER buy Matco tools, they are crap.

When it comes to tools...Buy Once, Cry Once.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
there are some people that would beg to differ on that list of tools...
depends on how you're gonna use them, but if you wanna get on that topic, start a different thread and we'll talk. lol. i have harbor freight tools that have served me well FOR THE PROPER USE...

but i agree, snap-on is where its at IMO.. and IR impacts.

to prerunner-- i like how i can see the PB can in the pic! lol..

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I've also decided to stop looking for the "right" wiring harness. I'm going to use the one in the '96 Exploder. I'm swapping the engine, trans, steering column and AC so adding the dash and full wiring harness gets this closer to plug & play. I kind of wanted the dash anyway, though maybe in a different colour. lol
The '96 AC unit is a few inches narrower than the '90 Bronco II one so I should have a hole to fill in the firewall, which is how I'll get the computer inside my Bronco. I ain't saying this will be easy but I did find where member "runningman" swapped a '97 dash into an '84 Ranger so it can be done. Hopefully he's watching this and can give pointers.
The narrower AC and later wiring should make future engine swaps (like the SOHC?) easier too. :icon_surprised:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
wait... why do you need to get the computer thru the firewall?
it unplugs?

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Don't get me started on tools. lol Mine are junk and I know it. Mix and match with a few Craftsman thrown in. I'm in Canada so I can't get Matco anyway. I think the better ones in my toolbox are cheaper than Craftsman.

4.0 B2, yeah, carded down everything with PB and still pretzeled a 12 mm wrench. Luckily, since the bolt never moved, I put it back on and pushed it back into a less mangled shape. Its still toast though. :rolleyes:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I know but its at the top of the engine compartment in the Exploder, so I assume the wiring is short. I want it inside the cabin.
I will unplug it to install it the way I want through the firewall with a grommet.

It'll be mounted to the firewall under the dash, but accessible.

Edit: Just looked at the picture in post #17 and there is a fair length of wire for it. Its the thing on the firewall just above the heater hoses. I still want it out of the engine compartment.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, the 2.9 is out. I struggled with the driveshafts all through yesterday and wouldn't post about it. I decided to yank it out without removing either. It worked and with minimal damage.
Pix?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals