• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possibly getting a better truck.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my trucks a pile. i know it, everyone i know, knows it. :) gonna give it to my brother and let him have fun!

however i'm getting 4000-4500 for a new truck soon.

looking at 98+ rangers with a 4.0, 5 speed, 4x4 ect. maybe even 95+.

found an 02 with 197k miles 4.0 ..automatic though :( but it's 3800 and in nice condition, no rust, hard plastic tonneau cover, step bars. wondering if i should jump on it. i really want a 5 speed but i'm wondering if i'll get bored of it or tired of it quick. been dreaming about a 5 speed since day one though...should i settle?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I can say this, I haven't found a truck more fun to drive than a Ford Ranger, I don't know what it was about them, maybe it was because a Ford Ranger was my first vehicle but they're extremely fun to drive, my 84 ranger was an automatic I never got tired of driving it, I got tired of the feedback carb/computer issues which is why I sold it, my grandfather had a 93 ford ranger 4x4 automatic that I enjoyed driving but the transmission failed in it twice, and it went to scrap. The automatic transmission in the newer rangers was the weak link, everything else in them was great, well maybe with the exception of the electric transfer case. I also enjoyed driving my 88 Ford F-250 4x4 as well, my wallet didn't like me driving it though as with the 460 engine it would get 12mpg around town/highway unloaded LOL.

Seriously I doubt you would get tired of driving a Ranger. People love driving them, and unfortunately Ford idiots quit building them so no more new rangers. :(

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can say this, I haven't found a truck more fun to drive than a Ford Ranger, I don't know what it was about them, maybe it was because a Ford Ranger was my first vehicle but they're extremely fun to drive, my 84 ranger was an automatic I never got tired of driving it, I got tired of the feedback carb/computer issues which is why I sold it, my grandfather had a 93 ford ranger 4x4 automatic that I enjoyed driving but the transmission failed in it twice, and it went to scrap. The automatic transmission in the newer rangers was the weak link, everything else in them was great, well maybe with the exception of the electric transfer case. I also enjoyed driving my 88 Ford F-250 4x4 as well, my wallet didn't like me driving it though as with the 460 engine it would get 12mpg around town/highway unloaded LOL.

Seriously I doubt you would get tired of driving a Ranger. People love driving them, and unfortunately Ford idiots quit building them so no more new rangers. :(
the only reason i would ever drive anything but a ranger is when the time for a diesel comes or if i ever find/can afford a quad cab dakota with a manual.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
^^Avoid the Dodge Dakota's with the junk 4.7L engines they're trash and gutless. Find one with a 318 with a 5 speed and you will grin everytime you hit the go pedal. I test drove a 2001 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L and it seemed like it had less power than my Jeep Grand Cherokee's 4.0L Straight 6 engine.

I really like the compact pickups, but there's times when you need a bigger one for hauling/towing and I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra for that, but I can honestly say its a great truck, but I find my 84 Bronco 2 more fun to drive.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if i ever find the need for anything bigger than a ranger, i'm going to go diesel. whether it be a new ram 1500 diesel or an older cummins, i'm not sure.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I had a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 and really wanted to figure out how to put a cummins engine in it, probably would have been a first, but most likely would have required a ton of modifications to the drive train and the front end to hold that engine. I don't blame you for going the cummins route though, they're great engines and the older ones (5.9L's) were more mechanical than electronic making working on them much simpler. Now on to figure out how to get a cummins into my bronco II LOL (yeah right, can't even afford to restore and fix my poor B2 as it is).

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 and really wanted to figure out how to put a cummins engine in it, probably would have been a first, but most likely would have required a ton of modifications to the drive train and the front end to hold that engine. I don't blame you for going the cummins route though, they're great engines and the older ones (5.9L's) were more mechanical than electronic making working on them much simpler. Now on to figure out how to get a cummins into my bronco II LOL (yeah right, can't even afford to restore and fix my poor B2 as it is).
it's easy, just get some 1500 badges and you're set. cummins 1500 ! :icon_twisted:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You have the choice between a so so auto trans and a 5 speed that gets dropped to replace the slave cylinder. If I was using mine for a commuter car, it would be an auto. Unlike a lot of cars, the 5 spd is available. If you want a 5spd, keep looking. My wants for a pick up were satisfied except for one thing with the 600$ Rat. Well 2, if being a Toyota counts. I wanted a 4cyl. Instead I got a 4.0. Prolly a better choice. for a beater 4wd :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals