• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible 2.9 forged pistons deal through alibaba

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
If you're using 302 rods probably the least expensive way to change the pin size would be to put bushings in the rods and have full floating pins. You'd need grooves in the pistons to retain spiro locks or some other method to keep the pins in place. You must love those little engines to go through all that work and expense.
Time? LOTS. Expense? Truck pays for itself with part-outs. So, still under 1K out-of-pocket. Now, the amount of stuff I've had to part out..... :icon_surprised:

Either way... Its not so much liking the engine. Sure, they're an impressive critter for their era. But the the bones are good for my purposes. I wanted something with a high rod ratio, high oversquare ratio, loves to run mid to high RPMs, and is lightweight. 2.9 fits all of those.

The other reason is I watched a 24v TT Capri/Sierra/Granada (were talking 2009) run a (illegal) hillclimb in Switzerland outside Bern against a Lamborghini Murcielago.

The ford completely handed the Italian job its own ass and then some.

As Hammond once said about the Cozzers, "(they) were like the gardener walking into the palace and kicking the Baron's teeth in." Granted, he was talking about the Sierra RS500, but the 24V was nothing to mess with in the 80s/90s.

In their modern forms as homebrew twin turbo 5 speed cars, they are capable of doing what their little brother 30 years ago - upset the established order due to a ****ing incredible design.

My adventure with the 12v version has more or less been about learning as much as I can, and to build my interpretation of the evil little fawker I heard screaming years ago. There are advantages to the 12v vs, the 24v as well, the main ones being a much simpler timing system, and a physically stronger block layout rooted in simplicity and efficiency. The fact I can pick up a bare block by hand and toss it on my workbench with ease is MAJOR brownie points as well.

In short, I joined TRS in October 2018 with some limited experience with jeeps, B body Mopar, etc.

I came here to learn.

My first post was about finding someone to fix a floor for me.

18 months later, I'm re-designing pistons for an engine build that nobody in the USA has ever tried.

The lot of you teach exceptionally well. Thank you. :headbang:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have no interest in tearing down a perfectly running engine. If I have to pull it later for a timing chain or something in the future, I might consider it but for right now, it’s fine right where it is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals