• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ported vs Sealed

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have 2 Sony 10s-1100W peak, 330rms with a 1000W 2chnl amp from Walmart in 2 separate boxes behind the seats in my single cab. this means VERY limited airspace (not for sure on the exact measurements, ill get a pic on here one of the days). i was wondering if i should port these. im hoping to get more lows out of them

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would it hurt to try? a tuned port is supposed to do just what you're wanting. have no clue what the proper length and diameter of the port should be for those boxes.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
A ported box is not a good idea in your case....a properly ported box (which has very little tolerance for error unlike sealed) will take up one and a half times to twice the rated volume. The good news is a properly designed and built enclosure will produce about 3dB's more of output than a sealed enclosure with the same subs and power, which is equivelant to almost double the output....Get on the manufacture's website of the subs, get the specs for a sealed enclosure, and build you a good box. Use MDF, at least 5/8 (3/4 is better) and make sure your cuts are straight and use wood glue and make sure it is sealed well and you will have a great sounding system :icon_thumby:
SVT

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
A ported box is not a good idea in your case....a properly ported box (which has very little tolerance for error unlike sealed) will take up one and a half times to twice the rated volume. The good news is a properly designed and built enclosure will produce about 3dB's more of output than a sealed enclosure with the same subs and power, which is equivelant to almost double the output....Get on the manufacture's website of the subs, get the specs for a sealed enclosure, and build you a good box. Use MDF, at least 5/8 (3/4 is better) and make sure your cuts are straight and use wood glue and make sure it is sealed well and you will have a great sounding system :icon_thumby:
SVT
I would do that. But there's like nothing on sony's site about walmart subs or vise versa

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Did you buy them new?? Do you know what model they are?? If you bought them new, the spec sheet will be in the box with the sub...If you didn't, try your local walmart and see if they have the subs on the shelf to where you can get to it, not in the locked cabinet. Pull the spec sheet out and COPY the specs for it but don't take the spec sheet, the next person who buys that sub will need it. With the model number I should be able to find the specs for you :icon_thumby:
SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys, ill see if I can find the paperwork for the subs and send it to u. Ill look at that site later when im actually on my computer

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Decided to go ahead and port the box. What size port should I use? The sub is a walmart sony xplod xs-gtx100lw. The box isnt even a half cubic foot in air space.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
for a 10" you'd need about 1.0-1.5 cu ft, depending on the sub...you need to find the paperwork, it'll tell you what size the port needs to be. The box is tuned by the size and depth of the port, so you need the paperwork to find this out...
SVT

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I should be able to find the paperwork as soon as I can find the boxes that they came in. I just hope my dad didn't burn them....

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
those subs wont sound good ported. sealed is the way to go on the lower end subs.

i had a set of pioneer subs from walmart that actually sounded pretty good in a sealed box, tried ported with everything correct and hated em and sold em.

bass is very flat, not very responsive, not impressive.

take a coffee can and fill it with nails and shake it around, thats how a ported box sounds like,

sealed is the way to go here. trust me, youll thank me later.

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
those subs wont sound good ported. sealed is the way to go on the lower end subs.

i had a set of pioneer subs from walmart that actually sounded pretty good in a sealed box, tried ported with everything correct and hated em and sold em.

bass is very flat, not very responsive, not impressive.

take a coffee can and fill it with nails and shake it around, thats how a ported box sounds like,

sealed is the way to go here. trust me, youll thank me later.
They are sealed now and im not hitting the lows that I want.

Im still trying to find the paperwork for them. Im hoping it'll tell me how big of a port to go with.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Ported boxes can be hard to get right. Being a professional box builder it took me 3 times building a box for 2 pair of subs until I had it perfect (grant it this was for competition and I was squeezing every dB out of it), but if it is off very little, say your off 1/8 inch of a side wall, it'll throw the port volume off and it'll sound like $h!t....Some sealed subs that ae not designed for ported applicatons can be in a ported box, but it takes a box building program and some tuning for it to sound good
SVT

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
If only I had the money to get a box professionally built....

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Here are a couple boxes I have built....
This one was done back in 97 for a show truck

A buddy's camaro I did...

This one I did for my B2 I had back in 2000...

Here I swapped the radio and HVAC controls so the HU had more room to cool off from the hot metal dash

Here is a box I built for my lowrider ranger back in 2002, after building the box I added ports to it later, which is what I was doing here, came out wrong and I made mistakes on this box, which is why the ports are angled into the box, wasn't happy with the way it sounded and it came out less than a week after install...

SVT

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals