• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

please help

Lampo06ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok...i just bought a truck for my birthday. i got a 2006 ford ranger supercab 2dr 4x4 ,5 spd, 4.0L V6. it drives really nice except for 1 thing, when i shift from neutral to first it clunks, 1st to 2nd it clunks, 2nd to 3rd it clunks, but everything after that is fine...i checked the ujoints by taking the whole driveshaft off. there was NO PLAY whatsoever in either one of the rear driveshaft u joints...not sure where the clunking is coming from and its getting really annoying and aggravating...any info on as to what the problem may be would be very greatly appreciated...i need this truck to be tip top before it starts snowing out and i do all repairs myself. thanks guys

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is this happening while shifting into gears or when letting off the clutch?

Lampo06ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it happens when im letting off the clutch...and since this morning we had our first frozen precipitation, i put it in 4x4 hi and its clunking even more now...im really fed up with this thing

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would jack it up and put all four corners on a very secure jackstand- then set the parking brake a few clicks to get some tension on the driveline- then have someone put it in gear and see if they can duplicate the noise while you are underneath watching/listening. Won't take long to isolate the noise. Could be a rear end, slip joint, ujoint, etc. Most of these parts aren't going to be loose enough to move by hand but the force of the engine will make it clunk.

Lampo06ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
bringing it in to the shop to let them figure it out....putting the warranty i bought to good use...i dont feel like getting frustrated and smashing things ill regret smashing later....lol

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
let us know what it was when they figure it out.

Lampo06ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh yeah definetly...just so somebody else would know what their problem is if something were to happen to their truck...ill let you know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals