• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

please help w/ my 02 f150

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 f-150 4wd w/ the 5.4 vin code L engine. I keep getting the SES codes Po 171 and PO 174 "system adaptive too lean". I have replaced the following: PCV valve and hose and elbow at the back of the intake, oyxgen sensors, the air fliter, EGR valve, EGR solinoid DPFE sensor, fuel filter , gas cap,MAF sensor and had it checked over and over for vaccum leaks-there is not any.. I took it to a Ford dealer yesterday and paid $400 for the diagnostic, vaccum leak check AGAIN, a PCM "reflash" PCV valve and the hose and elbow at intake. was in the shop for almost 5 hours!! Damn light came on again this morn on my way to work:annoyed: it runs and drive fine but you can hear a definate "sucking" sound comming from the top of the motor when accelerating-at cruise speed the noise is very faint. I've had it to 3 different shops including the dealer this most recent time {yesterday} I am stumped and completly out of ideas:sad::sad:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you have a sucking noise, you have a vacuum leak, or you are hearing intake noise, but you shouldn't hear that with the air filter on... if you paid $400 for a diagnostic, already, take it the hell back and tell them to fix it or give you your 400 back!

the shops i go to here, the way i play it, no fix, no charge, if i take it in they spend 10 hours trying looking for a gremlin that they KNOW is there, they don't charge me, hell i took my truck in for a misfire at idle when cold, they had it for a day and a half and gave it back to me saying they couldn't replicate the problem with no charge for anything (i usually go to the dealer because of the warranty)

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You say you hear a sucking noise take a piece of vacuum hose and put your ear up to one end and search around all the gaskets and fittings and hoses with the other end also how are your brakes check the brake booster good inside and outpump the pedal while listening at the seal inside the cab. $400 is alot of money for nothing I bet they were smiling as you drove away. Stand at the cashier and get loud that is just flat wrong. Especially for probably at the most they spent an hour actually looking at it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Just thinking also is the heater controls vacuum operated it coud be a hose or component under the dash leaking also. Just a thought see if the noise responds to the heater controls.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 good call on the heater controls, i've had that happen on my stang

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
Well my dealership only does service M-F naturally I have to take it in on MON. What makes me mad is the tech told me there is not any vaccum leaks or an intake leak but you can hear it while driving. When my wife rides w/ me she can hear it as well so I am not crazy!! Funny thing is I used to have a K&N air filter and I did not hear the noise as bad but I can really hear it now w/ the paper filter.I replaced the k & N b/c the element was starting to break down. My wife is going to drive me to work on Mon then take the truck to the dealer again. I called the dealership yesterday afternoon and as calm as I could{ I was extremly pissed} and told them what the problem was.

I never had thought about the HVAC system:icon_idea: I have the digital controls since my truck is a Lariat. Would this even matter?

Thanks to all who have posted:icon_cheers: I did have this posted on blueovaltrucks.com but since Jim closed the site I figured I would post it here!!

my brakes feel fine for the poster who suggested that -though that doesnt mean I could have a leaky booster though

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the digital controls SHOULD still be vac controled, but i might be wrong... do you still have your K&N? if so toss it back in, even dirty, and take it for a quick drive, see if the noise goes away... i doubt it, but just incase it does have to do with your af

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
No I don't have the k&n anymore the dealer pitched it as it was really broke down and the gauze material was starting to come out of the mesh screen. I never over oiled it as I had a k&n on my old five oh stang. When the truck makes that sucking noise somtimes it kinda sounds metallic?:shok: I am wondering if my hard EGR tube that goes to the exhaust manifold could have pin hole leaks in it somhow and when the engine gets warm then it leaks. It has been under the freezing mark around STL for a few weeks now so I wonder if the weather has anything to do with this as well?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals