• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

please help 1354 to 1350 swap

model t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
hi i just got a 1994 ford ranger 4 cyl 4x4 and the transfer case is shot , i can get a 1350 case from a 1988 bronco 2 , what parts would i need to use this in my truck ? i can also get the front driveshaft from the 88 , would this work also would the shift linkage work ? thanks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
This is somewhat complicated... There were a handful of front driveshaft lengths for the 1350 transfer case since there were I think 4 different transmissions in front of it, and there were 2 or 3 different shift linkages to go with those transmissions. Your rig has a M5OD transmission and with the 1354 the front shaft is the same length as if it had an auto transmission. If the bronco II has an automatic transmission I "think" the shift linkage will mount to your transmission and the front shaft should be the right length but if manual it probably wont.

On that note, what broke on your transfer case? It's rare to break them, I've broken one but it wasn't easy and was the result of massive amounts of axle wrap in a tractor pull... and on that note I should probably pick up a spare 1354 for good measure...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Short answer is yes, you can do it. I put a 1350 in an Explorer years ago because it was what I had on hand.

Driveshaft length might be an issue but 1988 would probably have had either an A4LD auto trans or FM-146...both of which are the same length as whatever you have in your Ranger. So "could" be an issue but probably not.

Your rear driveshaft may be an issue too - I am about 99% sure you have different rear yokes on those t-cases. B2 should have a CV yoke, the Ranger probably has a flange. Fortunately you can swap them.

The shifter may or may not work. If you have both shifters, you can make something work. I have run into issues with the bottom part of the shifter itself being the wrong length or angle, and the arm on the t-case itself being too short or too long or bent the wrong way. Hard to say for sure but this is probably the biggest issue you will run into.

model t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the help , i looked at the transfer case and the shifter is at the wrong angle the shifter form the bronco 2 is gone i guess i can try a junk yard and see if they have any the rear has a flange and it looks like the ranger the original case in the ranger just grinds in 4 high it won't move the truck and it makes loud noises the low range does work 2 high also works , thank you for the advice

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Most of the internals of the 13-50 are the same as (or interchangeable with) the 13-54... you might be able to repair the 13-54 with parts from the 13-50.

Pretty much the only difference is the front output assembly. You may find that the shift forks are different and have to stay with the matching shift collars, or the input has 4 planet gears instead of 6... but most of the parts will work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals