• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pinion Leak

suzuki14258

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Pinion Leak that i cant seam to get rid of on my rear axle that is a 28 spline 8.8, after the truck was re geared i replaced the pin seal with a junk one the kit came with. I have replaced it twice now with ford pin seals and it still leaks. I have checked the vent to make sure its not clogged and its clean. I thought maybe the second time i just didnt clean it well enough, so the third time i cleaned it really well before installing the pin seal. Now i just dont get it, and its not the regular like drip down leak, it looks more like its throwing the oil and spoting it all over the diff housing. It does this the worse when the oil level is at the fill plug. :dntknw: So just curious if anyone else has had this problem or has any advice of if its just going to leak forever lol.

suzuki14258

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a new lock right sitting in my room and kind of wanted to fix this leak before i install it. I had one before and it broke but they sent me a new one :)

suzuki14258

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That might be my problem i have never replaced that, can i get that at a auto parts store or do i have to go to ford?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
just about any auto parts store has it. read the article

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If the yoke is grooved at all either replace it or sleeve it.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The other area to watch for is the splines. When you replace your pinion nut and seal, put a little squeeze of silicone around the area where the nut bottoms out on (where the splines and yoke are). I have seen some (not many) instances where the oil is wicking along the splines and out that way giving the illusion of a seal leak. .

suzuki14258

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a flange repair kit and new seal but saw bigger problems why i was doing that. I wound up taking it to a 4wd shop, getting the whole rear end re built and getting a tru trac in place of the lock right locker. My ring and pinion was still good though :), Apparantly pieces of my old locker were in the bearings. it still leaks though FML.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals