• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking brake pedal stuck on the floor on the '90 Ranger

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Like the title says, the parking brake pedal is stuck on the floor on my '90 Ranger...

I was adjusting the parking brake and now the pedal is stuck down. I started digging in and the release lever is moving all the way but the catch is not releasing. It's not the cable, if I push on the pedal a little the cable moves and what feels solid is the assembly. I sprayed some WD40 into where I could get it but I think there's some rust somewhere holding something up since my windshield is leaking and running down the pedal...

So I spent an hour pulling the 3 bolts I can see, now when I wiggle the pedal the whole dash moves but not much... what am I missing? If there's more than the one bolt with an 8mm head by the fuse box release lever left (I skipped that one since it's easy) I'm pulling the drivers seat so I can get more than one arm in there... I got the bolt by where the pedal is now, the one at the top of the bracket and the one at the back of the bracket by the parking brake release (all into the kick panel).

I'm open to ideas, the dash and parking brake pedal are about all of the fasteners I have never touched in the 20 years I've been wrenching on the ol '90 Ranger... I mean I've put a few stereo's in it and worked in the dash but it's never been out... I did try searching but didn't get anywhere... I'm sure daylight would have helped...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
As an update, it was stupid, fixed it in October... over 30 years the parking brake release linkage stretched apparently and a few of the other stops and bends in the parts weren't helping, along with the rust on everything... Got the last bolt out and the assembly came out, re bent out the linkage and moved the limiter stops out some to keep this from happening again and coated things in white lithium grease then reassembled.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals