• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painting axles.

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
So my axles are really rusty and i've decided to spray paint them today. Now is any kind od paint good for it or do i buy the expensive sTuff. IM just going to power wash it and wire brush it to make it look decent. Any tips? what color would look good. thanks! oh yeah its an 86

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
So my axles are really rusty and i've decided to spray paint them today. Now is any kind od paint good for it or do i buy the expensive sTuff. IM just going to power wash it and wire brush it to make it look decent. Any tips? what color would look good. thanks! oh yeah its an 86
i would power wash, use some simple green to get any traces of diff fluid or oil or grime or tar or anything! off of there too.

wire brush on a drill if you can (idk the exact term for it, maybe it's right?)

i'd use some rustoleum, or paint made for metal.

as for color, match your diff cover if you have a fancy one on there, or go for striking color combinations like orange and black, black and red, black and blue, silver and blue, black and gold.

lots of combinations look really great.

just in case you don't want people thinking it's aftermarket super nice, you may want to avoid colors.. not sure.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
wire brush it then just wipe i down with simple green or something. when i painted the axles on my bronco thats pretty much what i did. I used a high heat paint. but then again that was the only color i could find ford blue to get it back to original color. try and use an enamel paint or something like that
i would just do black axle and then paint the diff cover something different. i did the one on the ranger with some left over ford blue and i love it. really stands out

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just paint over rust--the military way. If you use Rustoleum and wire brush it a little first, it will last a long time.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about that POR 15 stuff?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
that stuff isnt really cheap though. 20 bucks for the starter kit which is only has 4oz of paint. a full pint is 30 bucks

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks to all. That blue differential cover is sick!

explodan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes it is on the expensive side but all you have to do is knock off all the loss rust and clean it real good then just paint it on the coolest part is when you put it on it causes a chemical reaction and changes to a sealed primer which can be painted over or you can get it some basic colors but it does not work as well on nonrusty parts good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals