• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0500 Check engine light with occasional ABS

NPdarkside21

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
My credo
Work Smarter not Harder
I have a '99 3.0V6 FlexFuel and my check engine light is on for a P0500 code. I have replaced the VSS on the differential but the code still remains. The truck has been sitting but there's no evidence of rodents or damage to the main harness. I am trying to trace the wiring to find the issue but I cannot see anything obvious. Are there any key places, wires, pigtails, or harness points to check?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Check the harness for breaks/corrosion.

But i do know on the fullsize trucks the tone ring (what the VSS reads from inside the rear end) can wear out and screw with stuff

NPdarkside21

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
My credo
Work Smarter not Harder
I traced the red/pink and black/green from the VSS all the way to the PCM and found no issues. I used a voltmeter to check for continuity throughout it all and there were no issues. I'm wondering if it is my PCM. I mean I'm hoping it's not. The only thing I did to it before even touching any of this was change the fuel pump. It was throwing a code for a fuel level sensor only (pending and stored). I'm running out of ideas at this point.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The most common issue we had on the older 3 channel systems (most of our fleet is newer true 4 wheel systems) was with the rear wheel speed sensor plug. Since down time is more costly than parts to us, we’d replace both the pigtail and the sensor.

NPdarkside21

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
My credo
Work Smarter not Harder
could a failing abs module cause this? This truck only has 2 wheel ABS and tracing the wires led me to a connector that stays unplugged and capped at all times with the same corresponding colored wires to the differential mounted speed sensor. I changed the differential fluid not too long ago and after looking at the ABS/wheel speed tone ring there were no irregularities like metal shaving in the teeth or teeth missing.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe splice in a new pigtail or check it with a device.....make sure pigtail is on correctly, they're a little funky with the design and how it goes together....the sleave of either the pigtail or the sensor, can't recall exactly, has to slide under a little lip to go on snug.....if it doesn't slide under the lip it won't go on all the way....thats probably not your issue but double check.......on my 01 3.0 theres also a trans sensor that goes on top of the tranny near the rear of it...it is the same exact shape as the rear axle sensor but a tad smaller if I remember correctly...takes a star shaped socket to take off the one bolt holding it on....using a small handheld mirror can help you find and work on it....not sure it has any bearing on your problem....im not a great mechanic ive just kept my trucks running by having some knowledge and help from others etc

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals