• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0442: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

floridaoranges

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has anybody gotten this code before and figured out what causes it? vacuum leak or something?

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just got this code myself yesterday morning. . .and then this morning the engine had a few misses when accelerating uphill. On the way home today it was missing REALLY bad until I got on the freeway, then by the time it got home everything seemed fine. . .

. . .I'll post up if I figure something out.

Any luck figuring this out yourself?

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
I just got this code myself yesterday morning. . .and then this morning the engine had a few misses when accelerating uphill. On the way home today it was missing REALLY bad until I got on the freeway, then by the time it got home everything seemed fine. . .

. . .I'll post up if I figure something out.

Any luck figuring this out yourself?
From what I know and I could be wrong the evaporate system is under a vacuum and when the system can't hold constant vacuum it will set the code. The cause could be Many things left off gas cap. Filler hose has a leak or the pump assembly o ring leaking or the check valve were the evaporate return line goes to the back to the tank ( were mine was leaking the line is plastic and has a little 1 and a half rubber piece connecting to the check valve mine had a slice In it) hope that helps.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Most common reason is loose gas cap or bad o ring on the cap. Could also be cracked/loose hoses on the evap system. When I worked at Autozone probably 95% of codes we pulled were that or the one for a large leak. I told people to put a little vasoline on the o ring to try to make a better seal. I was told the computer only pulls a vacuum on the system between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas so you could just keep it full or empty ha ha. You can reset the light to see if you fixed the issue by just pulling your batt. Cable for a few minutes.

Jack Schmidt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Reviving this thread only because its title is a good search term.
I get a P0442 only when I load the engine. If I drive around normally, no code. Does this symptom narrow down the cause?

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
What year 4.0l? Check the PCV system. It's a potential source for a huge vacuum leak.
Don't forget smoke testing.

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
These trucks are getting old enough now that vacuum lines can be developing leaks from cracks. I had an 06 Mustang that would display that code maybe once a month, but it was so seldom that I never was able to chase it down.

Jack Schmidt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What year 4.0l? Check the PCV system. It's a potential source for a huge vacuum leak.
Don't forget smoke testing.
Year is 2003. 145k miles. Good idea to check PCV as well. I don't see any relevant PCV trouble codes in the trouble code list ( https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD-II_codes.shtml ) so yeah, maybe some kind of PCV trouble throws P0442?

Can smoke testing be done by home mechanics or is it pro only?

These trucks are getting old enough now that vacuum lines can be developing leaks from cracks. I had an 06 Mustang that would display that code maybe once a month, but it was so seldom that I never was able to chase it down.
Yep, intermittent codes are a pain. That's my current problem. Maybe I should just replace hoses one at a time until. Some of those hoses are expensive, though.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, on mine, the hose from the fender to the intake under the throttle body had a YUGE blowout on the bottom. I just removed it, capped the fittings, and drove on. Been fine ever since. Tried hooking it back up one day with a new hose, ran like crap. Figured all the hoses under the bed are crapped out. SO I took it back off and put the caps back on. We don't have emissions inspections here. Light bulb for the CEL burned out years ago. LOL!!

EGR is gone as well, since the damn valve got stuck in the open position by a broken spring. Puppy runs swell and gets nearly 20 mpg. Not bad for a 3.0.

calinva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the middle of the same issue. Turned out a Squirrel had chewed the small vapor line that goes from the pump to the filler hose. Also the plastic gas line that runs from the pump to the fuel filter. Waiting for parts ? Pulled the bed off made life a little easier. Lucky it didn't catch fire. Had the code before smelling gas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals