• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

overspray on my truck

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is whitish overspray on the exterior of the bed of my truck. There is also what appears to be the remains of a puddle of the same color paint on the bed liner near the tailgate. My guess is that the PO had a rattle can accident. I don't know what kind of paint it is, so I don't know what solvent would remove it without destroying my paint job. The overspray will scrape off with my thumbnail. ......... But there is so much of it. Any suggestions for a safe and efficient removal?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If it's spray paint, regular laquer thinner will take it off along with any wax that was there too... If it's light overspray, a clay bar will take it off with no problem. Then just buff it and wax it and you're good as new.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If it scratches off with your finger nail then it will be easy to get off. Look in a Jegs catalog or online for plastic razor blades. They fit in any flat blade holder. As for the bedliner, a splash of thinner will do the trick.

Matt

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
use tar remover and then a light polish to restore the shine.i don't recommend thinner on the paint.

schroader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
use tar remover and then a light polish to restore the shine.i don't recommend thinner on the paint.
Im with you, thinner takes off clear coat to.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Im with you, thinner takes off clear coat to.
no it doesn't

Just use lacquer thinner on it you'll be perfectly fine. The only reason to be scared of lacquer thinner is if you have a lacquer or enamel paintjob..any Ford newer than the mid 80s is gonna be safe.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
:agree: with ZMan on that one, the newer trucks for the most part use a powder coat that is baked on. I just took the sticky crap (from dealer stickers) off with the same stuff (out of lighter fluid right now) washed it off and washed the rest of the truck while I was at it, never know I used the thinner, waxed her up and man did she shine!!

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
any Ford newer than the mid 80s is gonna be safe.
i woulden't assume that its all original paint and even if it is urethane i woulden't want to rub laquer thinner on a blend.you should go to a paint supply store or even napa and buy something mild from them.theres no way to know how stable that paint is beforehand,and you don't want to find out!at the bodyshop i work at we almost NEVER use laquer thinner on paint unless it doesn't matter if it wrinkles up or peels(like a resto thats getting totally stripped and i want to get old undercoat and tar off it before sanding).

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
i woulden't assume that its all original paint and even if it is urethane i woulden't want to rub laquer thinner on a blend.you should go to a paint supply store or even napa and buy something mild from them.theres no way to know how stable that paint is beforehand,and you don't want to find out!at the bodyshop i work at we almost NEVER use laquer thinner on paint unless it doesn't matter if it wrinkles up or peels(like a resto thats getting totally stripped and i want to get old undercoat and tar off it before sanding).
How many times do you come across cars that have a hack blend on them? I find it very unlikely that the OP is gonna have one on his bedside. Insurance companies pay for full clear on cars now-a-days, and body shops like to keep fawkups to a minimum. And if it isn't original paint, why kind of hack bodyshop WOULDN'T use urethane??

Lets do a little experiment.
got a little bit of lacquer thinner..

put a bit on a rag..

ahh, my old bed, complete with 4 month old baked on rattlecan overspray.

gotta let it sit on there...this overspray is a little excessive.

took a little elbow grease, but for the most part it was taking it off without damaging the paint underneath...and this is even cheap Omni paint, but still urethane.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
since you don't seem to understand i'll put it like this.why not use the weakest solvent on the exterior paint that works? especially if you don't know its history and want it around for the long run?:icon_confused: paint goes away fast enough without dumping shit like gas or laquer thinner on it.between the sun and stuff like solvents its enough to make the difference after a few years.end of story:rolleyes:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
since you don't seem to understand i'll put it like this.why not use the weakest solvent on the exterior paint that works? especially if you don't know its history and want it around for the long run?:icon_confused: paint goes away fast enough without dumping shit like gas or laquer thinner on it.between the sun and stuff like solvents its enough to make the difference after a few years.end of story:rolleyes:
Ok, so what solvent would you suggest? Can't say I know of anything "weaker" that isn't designed for an entirely different purpose (wax and grease remover, adhesive remover). I worked for a paint supplier for a while, and now I AM a painter and I honestly can't say I know of anything. If the OP is really paranoid about it, just get a claybar.

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the suggestions on this topic. The truck is a 97 and I'm pretty sure the paint on the bed is factory (I'm the second owner). The overspray is not a continuous layer. It is a series of pin head size specks. On closer examination, the overspray involves most of one side of the truck (including side windows) and most of the roof. I am not convinced it is rattle can paint. It comes off with my thumbnail so it may even be house paint. I will probably try a light rubbing with laquer thinner (on the glass first). What is a claybar?

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
a claybar is used to removed stubburn stupid stuff (e.g. paint speckles, tree sap, tar.) and can be found just about anywhere that sells car shampoos and wax. such as wally world and auto parts stores.

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just did a trial wipe with laquer thinner. The overspray is coming off with little effort and not effecting the paint underneath. Success!:woot:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals