• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil starvation at 2500+ rpm

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
ok, first off, i have not put an oil pressure gauge on this thing

now, we all know that the 2.9l tick is caused by lack of oil pressure and a crappy lifter design. the problem im having is that my tick only happens at 55mph+, which equates to roughly about 2250-2500rpm +. after a few minutes of sustained driving on the highway, the tick gets bad, and i mean really bad, and when you slow down to an idle(like at a light) the engines sounds bogged down and like it basically underwater. but when u get back into city limits, after a minute or 2 of driving slower(lower rpm, im guessing more oil pressure to rpm ratio) the tick stops, the engine sounds fine, and runs fine.

im surmising that these 3 symptoms are caused all by the lack of oil pressure. hydraulic lifters and no oil pressure, generally oil starved valve train in general, means a crappy running engine. im not interested in fixing this - the bronco needs to last me another at least 8 months before i can either get something new or finally fix it. really, my question is what are you're guy's opinions on running a thicker oil, such as 15w-40, to boost the oil pressure and get oil to the valve train?

Last edited:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
put some stp oil treatment in it. that shit is thick and helped me s10 last another 5 months once it started knocking

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder if you have a lot crud build up on the upper end of the engine. and restricting the oil return to the oil pan??

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Put in a quart of Lucas,the bottle says in engines in really bad shape as much as 60% Lucas can be used. My 2.9 started running crappy when I first start it after I put 10W30 Syntec(it was on sale) in it. I put in some Lucas and now it smooths out much quicker when I start it.

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
im scared of lucas products lol
i put some 15w-40 in it and now the tick is gone as well as the running problem that went along with it. i think my theory of increasing oil pressure turned out to be correct in application as well as science. im gonna put some ZDDP additive in the oil as soon as i can get to my dads - diesal oil just does not have the correct additives for gas engines lol.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
im gonna put some ZDDP additive in the oil as soon as i can get to my dads - diesal oil just does not have the correct additives for gas engines lol.
Diesel oil does have all the correct additives for gas engines, including a healthy dose of ZDDP.

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
according to the bottle "MEETS OR EXCEEDS API SERVICE CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL" only gas engine rating is SL, which as far as i understnad it doesnt have much in the way of zddp. are one of the other diesal ratings equivalent to SF? would putting more ZDDP in hurt anything?

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
put a whole bottle of seafoam in the oil for about 50 miles then drain the oil and see how much sludge and crap comes out of your oil

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
diesel oil

according to the bottle "MEETS OR EXCEEDS API SERVICE CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL" only gas engine rating is SL, which as far as i understnad it doesnt have much in the way of zddp. are one of the other diesal ratings equivalent to SF? would putting more ZDDP in hurt anything?
Over time zddp MIGHT hurt the cat! My 01 Wrangler has Diesel 15W40 in it since the first oil change back in 01. 115,000 miles and she runs like she did when new. Only thing she has had is oil changes, greasings and 2 new batteries.. Still has original plugs and wires.. and all other fluids.. Oh! I forgot one brake job.
So the zddp In my oil hasn't hurt one damn thing.
Big JIm :D

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
heh i cored out the cat on this thing years ago!

downey, as to your seaform suggestion, i did something similiar a couple of years ago and it came out lookin out. regular oil changes since then

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals