• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil filter quality and Timing chain noise

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I recently finished the rebuild of the engine on my black 03' Ranger in late December. I installed the Cloyes timing set. Everything ran great. After 50 miles or so it got it's first oil change with Motorcraft 5w30 and a Motorcraft oil filter FL820S. I had a couple of occasions where I had some chain rattle at start up (cold starts were in the 60-70's), and two times where the front chain continued to make noise on hot restarts that lasted for 30 seconds or so (the truck had sat for at least 30 minutes). Obviously this was very concerning. I felt like this was on oil pressure problem or a defect in the tensioners. I had two things I wanted to try #1 replace the oil filter #2 replace the tensioners with OEM Ford. I had a Wix filter 51372 on the shelf. I removed the Motorcraft filter and replaced it with a Wix and topped up the oil. I have put almost 2000 miles on the engine since then. No rattle or timing chain noise since then. Cold starts have been in the upper 20-40's.

My theory on the oil filter is that oil is draining back past the check valve in the filter, causing air to be in the upper part of the oil galleys and the tensioners loose prime. There would be lag in the time oil pressure is available in the tensioners. The Motorcraft filter is $3.19 and the Wix is $4.94. Maybe you get what you pay for and the Motorcraft is somewhat subpar. I have always thought of Wix as being a quality brand. Maybe I'm mistaken. I have waited a while until I put some miles on the engine to test my theory. Has anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I thought motorcraft filters did have a “anti drainback valve”.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Could have been a defect in the filter. The manufacturer of Ford filters is a decent maker. Not all OEM filters are great but that is one thing Ford hasn’t cheaped out on. I think it’s the same maker that make Purolator Pure One and Mobil1 filters. There are better filters out there but the Motorcraft filter isn’t a slouch.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
High efficiency purolater.

Motocraft is really good. For a pushrod engine.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...finished the rebuild of the engine
...installed the Cloyes timing set. Everything ran great
...After 50 miles or so it got it's first oil change with Motorcraft 5w30 and a Motorcraft oil filter FL820S
...couple of occasions where I had some chain rattle at start up (cold starts were in the 60-70's)
...two times where the front chain continued to make noise on hot restarts that lasted for 30 sec
...felt like this was on oil pressure problem or a defect in the tensioners
...wanted to try #1 replace the oil filter #2 replace the tensioners with OEM
...had a Wix filter 51372 on the shelf. I removed the Motorcraft filter and replaced it with a Wix
...2000 miles on the engine since ...No rattle or timing chain noise since ...Cold starts have been in the upper 20-40's
You've got a good looking truck & clean looking engine rebuild.
2001 SportTrac here with >250kMiles & all original V6~4.0L~SOHC + 5r55e +1354; equal to a 2001 Ranger ExtendedCab.
Been changing Oil+Filter every 6mths for several years now, using 0w30.FullSyn in the Spring, 0w20.FullSyn in the Fall.
Prefer 0w so don't need to wait for 5w to warm up, gets oil to those OilPressurized TimingTensioners ASAP on ColdStarts;
but I live at 9kFeet elevation with below zero winters; recommend 0w30.FullSyn year round for the "Hot 'Bama" climate.
Typically use Mobil1 or SuperTech\Warren oil. Also do "GasPedal To Floor" prestart crank for 5~10sec if truck has sat for more than 12hrs.
Use K&N# hp2011 Filter ( 14psiByPass 14gpm Rated ) instead of Ford# fl820s (16psiByPass 13gpm Rated).
Changed left+right TimingTensioners twice now in 22years, using OEMs.
Have installed Cloyes Tensioners on friends engines; slightly shorter maybe 1mm than OEMs, but had a better\thicker washer seal.
More info on my wiki pages below:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals