• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil coming out of dipstick

Kiddo2114

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Transmission
Manual
Hello! New registered member but have followed for awhile now. My ranger is an 86, to my knowledge it was motor swapped to an 2.8 Carbuereted motor from an 85(car is manual). The truck has been sitting for a month now, I started it up and all seemed fine till I noticed after that oil was seeping out of the dipstick. However, it was not enough oil that it was dripping onto the ground. I've read that it may be a faulty pcv valve?

Also noticed that my truck would rev high all of a sudden even when I tried sticking it into neutral, and would only go back to normal after tapping on the gas pedal or having to come to a stop and turn off the car and start it again. It didn't happen constantly but maybe twice in a 30-min trip.

I'm not sure the exact location but I've seen info that its on the valve cover on the passenger side? I found a "plug" that looks like the piece that doesn't sit right into the rubber piece that is on the valve cover. Any info on the pcv valve and if it could be the cause would be greatly appreciated.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome.

The 2.8 was used in Rangers through 1985, and in the picture of an '84 below, the PCV is the yellow thing pointed out, on the passenger side valve cover. If your 2.8 engine came from a passenger car, I would think it's probably in the same location.

Not sure on the idle issue.

Good luck!

pass side PCV.jpg

Kiddo2114

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Transmission
Manual
Welcome.

The 2.8 was used in Rangers through 1985, and in the picture of an '84 below, the PCV is the yellow thing pointed out, on the passenger side valve cover. If your 2.8 engine came from a passenger car, I would think it's probably in the same location.

Not sure on the idle issue.

Good luck!

View attachment 105148
[
[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much. Yes the one on mine looks like the one in the picture below. However, the bottom spout seems to be broken off and only one hose is connected to the top spout. I plan on also replacing the rubber grommet as it's not a tight fit and the pcv valve easily comes out. Is it normal for oil to be inside the pcv valve? I'll try to get pictures of my motor in the morning but not sure what other hose is supposed to be connected to the pcv valve.
IMG_1571.jpeg

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PCV is cheap enough to try... It may or may not fix it. If your are getting enough compression leaking past the piston rings to push oil out the dipstick you probably have bigger issues than the PCV valve.

Rev hang could be a bad gasket between the carb and air cleaner. They are also pretty cheap.

Kiddo2114

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Transmission
Manual
PCV is cheap enough to try... It may or may not fix it. If your are getting enough compression leaking past the piston rings to push oil out the dipstick you probably have bigger issues than the PCV valve.

Rev hang could be a bad gasket between the carb and air cleaner. They are also pretty cheap.
If not the pcv, what could be other likely culprits? The truck seems to run fine. Haven't noticed any coolant in the oil, smoking from the exhaust, or oil leaks. The only known issue is I have to replace the brake booster as when I hit the brakes I can hear a loud air hiss.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Worn engine, I pulled my original engine out because it got to the point it was pushing the dipstick out and spraying oil on the exhaust manifold causing it to smoke.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
The throttle hanging is scary. Is the linkage binding?

BTW does it puff out the dipstick tube if you run it without the stick in there? If yes your rings are probably toast (blowby).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Carb or throttle body could be gummed up from oil blowby. Might need a thorough cleaning. New PCV valve will help reduce oil weeping from dipstick tube. But it will send more of that vapor to the carb. Really need to have the health of the engine tested. I'd start by doing a good compression test and pulling the plugs to see what they look like.

Last edited:

Kiddo2114

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Transmission
Manual
The throttle hanging is scary. Is the linkage binding?

BTW does it puff out the dipstick tube if you run it without the stick in there? If yes your rings are probably toast (blowby).
I actually thought to test this, had an family member watch with the dipstick out slightly while I was in the car. They didn't notice any air/gas puffing out of the dipstick nor any oil coming out within a 5 minute period with me revving the engine. However, I took it around the block and oil was running down the dipstick tube once again. I plan on taking some pictures of my motor in a bit for reference

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals